New Gerber Ultra

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone tried the "new" model Gerber (used to be CMG/Infinity) Ultra? Pros/cons? Is clip removeable? Twist switch at rear now instead of at bezel?

Any comments would be appreciated, as well as suggestions for best place/prices on "old" Ultras and original Tasklights.

Thanks.

Lightchain

Newly Enlightened
I have the new design Gerber Ultra with a red LED. From the brightness I would say it is definitely an Ultra and not equivalent to the dimmer, old-model CMG Infinity. I like the front-twist old-model infinities and ultras, but the new design has a long enough knurled tailcap so you can still twist the front easily while holding the cap still to turn it on. And the momentary on function does work. The clip is removable - it is a nice clip. Although I am fond of the old design, I like the new one too.

Easyrider

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MLong said:
New Ultr...YUCK.

Ultra-G... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
My EDC is an Ultra-G and I picked up the last old style Gerber/CMG Ultra Infinity from the local REI store as a back- up!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seem to be a fair number of "old style" still available on the web---so hopefully they'll stick around awhile.

Thanks, guys.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're disappearing faster than you think. There will always be mixed reviews on products, and there are people who dislike the original Infinity, but I'd say there's a great deal of people who like the original and won't go for the new one. I love the old style, and until I get a new style I won't make a judgement other than to say that it'll be tough to beat the original. .