modd'ng everything in site!!

knifebright

Enlightened
modd\'ng everything in site!!

Hey all
recently i've been really getting interested in modd'ng. I've read and read and read and read some more. Then i practiced soldering and desoldeing ect ect. Some lights suffered in the process. Now it seem like everthing i have has to be modd'd. I've made my space-needle clone, modd'ed my arc lsh, swapped out emmitters on two cheaper lights, and my pride and joy for the week is my cmg ultra g. Last night i put a madmax+wo and a lux3 in it. I swear the stupidest part of that project was polishing the reflector. Running it off a 14500 li-ion cell its a torch and a half. So i believe the bug has bitten me bad and i just want to rip open everthing and make it brighter. next up i'm going to attempt an aleph LE. Ok enough ranting and raving...
jimmy

Wildcat

Enlightened
Re: modd\'ng everything in site!!

it's addictive and you will end up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, it happens to us junior modders; and when you run out of stock lights, you'll start modding whatever will fit... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I did a few empty cans of apple juice, old cell phones, tubes of pringles and even my document folder for taking notes in the dark.
Ah! reminds me of that period when I still had spare time...

knifebright

Enlightened

Your right the only stock light i've got left is my kl4...hmmm i do have a nice luxv left..... I'll try to post about the lux infinity later
jimmy

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I'm pretty sure that if you are using a li-ion battery with a madmax you are essentially running direct drive. The madmax is a boost circuit that really wants the battery voltage to be LESS than the Vf of the LED.

Daniel

knifebright

Enlightened

ya i know but i'm using a k-voltage binned lux3 (max 3.75vin) and with the resitance of the light the voltage drop is just a wee bit above that and not for very long. so it is is in direct drive for a moment or two but i think that it can handle it. though i shouldn't speak too soon.
jimmy

knifebright

Enlightened

so here is a little bit on how i went about the infinity mod. I started out opening up the bezel and removing the stock electronics. Then came the issue of needing to enlarge the head to fit a sammie. All i have is a dremmel tool so i'm working by hand. With grinding drums i came up with a neat method to keep the grinding even. I set up the head in my metal 1 inch barrel wrench after wrapping the head in a piece of thich poster board. This made is so as i was grinding with the dremmel, the head would spin making the grinding even. I made the head just large enough to squeeze the sammie in. THe lux pokes through the front in the way the stock 5mm led does after i enlarged the opening. the led base stops the lux from going any further. Now came the problem of making a good negetive contact as there is about a 1mm gap between the negetive on the sammie and the aluminum in the head due to the spacing of the emmiter base. I took a split ring and cut it in half at the break. THere was enough tensile force in the split ring to provide two things. The first is it contacted with the board on the negative plate and made a good contact. the second is it really centered the emmiter nicely. Last thing i need to do is pot the whole thing but i'm confused on what contact to use. I have AA adhesive but i'm not sure that's what i want to use. I need something that bonds semi-permanent, is thermaly conductive but not electrically conductive. So if anyone can lead me in the right direction please let me know. So that's my build method and i'm sure it was about as clear as mud. I'm now working on swapping out the emmitter in my kl4 with a nice YO color bin. I've always been more of a fan of cooler rather than warmer tints.
thanks
jimmy