Streamlight twintask 2L or 3AA?

welphd

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm a flashlight newbie. Which one of the mentioned should I buy? The 3AA has longer battery life (80 vs 28 in LED mode), but 2L is brighter? 2L is $5 more.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go to a place that has both and see which one you like better. Is size a factor for you? Are you located where you can easily get 123s? Will you be using the light in extreme temperatures? These are just a few questions to consider.

-Mike

welphd

Newly Enlightened
I plan to put one in my car and one in my house for emergency purpose. Don't use them often. Rarely camping.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you won't be using the light very often and there is a chance of harsh temperatures I would go with the 2L. The 10 year shelf life of 123s make them ideal for emergency lights.

-Mike

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned both lights (and still own two 2Ls) and other than general specs and such, they aren't really comparable lights. If my 2L looked like my 2xAA did, I'd be pretty upset.

Unless you really like the form factor of the 2xAA or you refuse to use lithiums, the 2L is the way to go. Or the 3C.

welphd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
I've owned both lights (and still own two 2Ls) and other than general specs and such, they aren't really comparable lights. If my 2L looked like my 2xAA did, I'd be pretty upset.

Unless you really like the form factor of the 2xAA or you refuse to use lithiums, the 2L is the way to go. Or the 3C.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking 3AA or 2AA?

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 2L isn't exactly a compact light so you might as well get the one that you think you'd be more willing to get batteries for. i personally have a used 3AA with some not-so-good beam tint(purplish-yellow) but I still LOVE the light!!! it's the perfect length for a duty light and would make a nice "head-knocker" for defense if necessary /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JJHitt

Enlightened
I have both and find that I use the 2L more.
Plus, my wife likes it.

Both are fine lights, but even with the weird 123A batteries, the 2L gets a lot more mileage than the 3AA.

loopy

Newly Enlightened
Hi I'm new here. I agree with JJHitt, I also have both lights and I find that the 2L has become my edc.

welphd

Newly Enlightened
Well, I already ordered a 3AA thru amazon for $24.99 and it's too late to change now. Maybe I'll buy a 2L later.

loopy

Newly Enlightened
The 3AA is also a great light and for that price it's a great deal. I use it as one of my hiking lights, it works pretty well as a general purpose light, the run time on this light is fairly long although the brightness will diminish slowly.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
welphd said:
Well, I already ordered a 3AA thru amazon for $24.99 and it's too late to change now. Maybe I'll buy a 2L later.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh crap, i thought you were talking about the luxeon version of the 3aa........ sorry. you should consider that one instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

welphd

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
oh crap, i thought you were talking about the luxeon version of the 3aa........ sorry. you should consider that one instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The Task Light luxeon 3AA does have great specs. But it's $10 more than the Twin Task 3AA. I'll definitely consider it for my 2nd purchase. Thanks!

capnal

Enlightened
Guys, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I got in my 2D Twin Task. That makes the complete product line for me! WooHoo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif (Well, I say that, but now I need the 2L 3Watt Task light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif )

I love these lights. I have them all stashed at different locations. In fact, the 3 C has taken place next to the bed along with the resident Pelican M10 Black Knight (4C). This past Monday night, the 2D Twin Task helped me get all the Christmas ornaments down from the attic. The 10 LEDs really lit things up in there!

I guess I don't have a point here, other than I simply recommend all of these models. Good choice anyway you go.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
A chime for the 2L. This one replaced the Scorpion in the car. The nice thing is if the xenon bulb dies, I still have a useable light via the LED's. Hunting around the engine compartment with the xenon on is overkill...the LED's is about right.

davidra

Enlightened
The ONLY thing I don't like about the 3AA is that it is very very long and skinny...a bizarre form factor. The 2L is a great light. Nuwai makes two hybrids that use AAA batteries, the AR-306 (both 3 and 6 leds with the xenon) and the A-303 (which I don't think is available in this country and has three leds plus the xenon). I don't have either one, but from the picture it appears that the batteries must be in a holder, making the body smaller, instead of being end to end. I'm strongly considering one of them, because I don't want to saddle my daughter with buying 123's (she's in college). Have no idea about relative output; if anyone does please post.....

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I meant 3AA.

I will say again that for car use, I really like the 3C as well. Nice runtime.