Nuwai Q3 vs Longbow Micra observations

Streak

Enlightened
I know there has been some discussion about this before but I just received a large batch of Q3's and have some observations.

Q3 draws about 750mA and the Micra 600mA.

Q3 with refelector has great side spill is nice and white but centre beam is dimmer than the greener Micra with optics.

Has this been the experience of others or is this particular Q3 a Luxeon lottery victim?

I plan on selling the others I have so dont want to start opening all of the packages.

Dont get me wrong, the Q3 is a fantastic light for the price I just expected it to be brighter than the (lot more expensive)1 Watt Micra.

Streak

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two micras and they are both white with a slight bluish tint. The Carclo 6 degree optic that they come with throws further than anything else I've seen in a 1" package, so that could explain the brightness difference.

Sorry, I don't have a Q3 to compare.

Streak

Enlightened
Thanks for the input so far.
My question is more about perceived brightness rather than tint.
Hopefully someone elase with both products will pop by and share their experience.

Catman10

Enlightened
I've had the same experience as you, Streak. But it is difficult to tell when comparing different optics/reflectors. I think that some of the LB Micras that have the greenish tint appear considerably brighter.

rycen

Enlightened
Would a more fair comparison be using a micra with a reflector?

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I have a Micra with the standard optics but with a UCL. I also have a stock Q-III.

With fresh batteries in both, I honestly have a difficult time telling which is brighter. In fact, depending on the surface illuminated, the Micra sometimes appears to have a more intense hotspot.

The Q-III has a perfect round hotspot and corona, with much more sidespill than the Micra. The Micra has a nice squarish beam and a smaller hotspot.

The beam on my Q-III is VERY white; I thought it was the whitest a Luxeon LED could be. But compared to the Micra, it's just a tad bluish. If I had never seen the Micra's beam, you would have never been able to convince me the Q-III beam had any hint of blue. But this Micra (2210S) has the absolute whitest beam of any light I own. It's very impressive.

I have the IMS reflector on order, but I don't know if I will install it. I really like the stock performance of the Micra's optics.

Wrangler

Enlightened
I compared my Micra to a second one and mine seemed to be whiter.
Then I compared the Micra to a Q3 and the Micra looked greenish to the Nuwai. Also the Nuwai was brighter. The Micra threw a little farther.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
WallaceD said:
I have the IMS reflector on order, but I don't know if I will install it. I really like the stock performance of the Micra's optics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scratch that!

I got the reflector today (thanks to Wayne at the Sandwich Shoppe!) and it's excellent! I now have a fantastic flood like the Q-III.

The Q-III is indeed brighter than the Micra with this setup. The hotspot is definitely more intense on my Q-III.

I would love to get a stippled (textured or orange peel) reflector for the Micra. Anyone know a source?