NEOCA 123 Wood - Production Started on Aug/11

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is derived from This one

I'm starting this new thread because it will show the real progress, from paper to product, and when it's finished it will be officially named.

Here is the exploded view as designed in SW:

protoexplode1.jpg

The skins from left to right: basket mesh, maple, plastic blue, tea pine, cork.

Hope you like it.

EDIT 1/19/2005

Interest list:

#1 Modamag ($43)
#2 Frenchyled ($43)
#3 Amorphous ($43) (withdrew from the list)
#3 PeterB ($43+$15)
#4 Gadgetometry ($43+15)
#5 Gadgetometry ($43+15)
#6 Marcspar ($43)
#7 JonSidneyB ($Paid)
#8 PeterB ($43+15)
#10 <-reach this and its a GO

EDIT 2/7/2005

PAYPAL PROBLEM UPDATE / PLEASE READ

Pablo

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My new light (final thread)

Daniel, here is the drawing of the flashlight:

protoassembly.jpg

Sjackal: as far as my knowledge of flashlights goes (not far BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) this is the first SKINNABLE FLASHLIGHT, think of leather, rubber, wood, another metal, textures, etc...

One body and many skins!

BTW, the knurling pattern is not final.

Pablo

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Still" sounds like a good one
Photon Distiller....
well I tried. The light looks very cool. If it is skinnable a nice Faux carbon fiber would be neat.

Zackerty

Enlightened

A single sheet of raw carbon fibre soaked in epoxy( pre preg), and wrapped around a mold with a slight overlap, would be excellent, curing times are availiable from the net.

evanlocc

Enlightened

I am afraid of this....my wallet is running out of juice.
....somemore it is X'mas time now!

greenLED

Flashaholic

Neat concept! How about "linterna gaucha" as a tribute to Argentinan "gauchos" (linterna is Spanish for flashlight)? I also thought of "strip light" but somehow it didn't sound right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif "SkinZ" also comes to mind.

lymph

Enlightened

Nice!

I'd like one made with a nicely scrimshawed walrus tusk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greenled, this is not a guessing game /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I already have one that mix english with spanish, but I don't want to hype, tease no one or create wrong expectations, when the shown sketch is finished in metal I'll announce the name and eventually a plan for the light, at this moment its just vaporware /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I posted the drawings because is a new concept AFAIK.

BTW, In the drawing I forgot to add a can for the sandwich, which also will work as a heat path for the LS.

Thanks for the interest.

Pablo

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mrsinbad: Solidworks, self learned the basics from the included tutorials, and asking in web forums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, here is a cut of the drawing, with some enhancements over the 1st picture:

cutproto.jpg

Enhancements include: O-Rings, dissipator for LS, added tolerance for different battery sizes, lanyard attachment, retaining rings for sandwich and dissipator, and minor adjustments.

I'm still thinking of adding a threaded support for the NX05 and a protective glass.

EDIT: I gladly accept design suggestions from more experienced modders, I readed a lot before starting this, but maybe I'm missing something important /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pablo

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

It's looking real good.

I'd suggest that you incorporate a spring of some sort for the battery terminal. That allows you to make the body a touch bigger than the battery so that you don't run the risk of crushing the battery or electronics when the body is twisted down too far. It also will let you screw it down the same amount every time.

Daniel

greenLED

Flashaholic

Sorry, Pablo, I got carried away. The concept of a sleeved/customizable light is very cool. G'luck on the project!

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

GL: Now that I re-read my reply to you it may be interpreted as a rude response, that was not my intention at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What I mean is that I already have a name for the light, I'm accepting suggestions for features. Thanks!

Daniel: The current design used the max tolerance of a 123 that is 34.5mm and on top of that it can go down to 33.5mm without crushing the circuit (if the battery is 33.5 of course) look closely to the pic and you will see a small gap between the body and the head, that is 0.9mm

Adding a spring to the base or the sandwich will add at least 5 to 10 mm and thats not desirable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Or I'm not getting your idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will add a poron (or similar) ring to the sandwich to avoid battery rattle.

Pablo

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

It really is optional, and the lack of a spring would not be considered a defect.

Just to explain what I meant, the technique you are using is a common one that usually works well. ARc uses it, as does teh firefly and a lot of others.

Sometimes it becomes a pain when an out of spec battery is used, or when a battery goes dead and the owner twists harder in an attempt to light it. If you have a .9mm bap between the head and the body when the battery is 34.5, it means that the battery can be forced .9mm into the electronics.

If the gap is .0 when you have a 33.5 mm, you are out of luck with a 33.4mm battery (dented positive terminal from a drop, for instance).

However.... If you make the battery cavity 36mm long, and use a 1mm thick spring that expands to 3 mm, you have both extremes covered with only a very slight increase in length. You also have a constant pressure on the battery AND can bring the boddy all the way up to the head with no gap.

A spring can be very thin, especially if a leaf variety is used. A conical spring (look at a mini-mag tailcap) collapses into itelf, so they can also be as thin as the thickness of the wire used. The spring does not have to be very strong.

Daniel