Considerations for military flashlight

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to send a flashlight to one of my co-workers that has been deplyed to Iraq again. My question is, what we be something really nice that I could send for him with a long run-time and somewhat bright. I was thinking about the Surefire L1 Lumamax with all the cool gadgets with it.

Thought and opinions welcome. Also, is there any dealers that sell these here?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you have a point. I just like the L2 because the high power is Luxeon LED powered. You dont have to worry about buying more lamps for the thing.

-tom

Steve C

Enlightened
Your choice should be dictated by his assignment.

If he's a grunt, then a 123-powered light is appropriate, since he will have access to batteries. As a former grunt, I can tell you that I would given a lot to have a dependable, durable light like an L1 for putzing about at night when not in a tactical situation. The L2 is somewhat larger, and to a grunt, size/weight is EVERYTHING, believe me; even to the mainly mechanized grunts of today.

If your guy is a REMF, then it really doesn't matter. A small AA LED, such as the SL Junior Luxeon, light might be a better choice.

Mainly, whatever his MOS/assignment, he will probably appreciate something he can keep in his pocket a lot more than a larger "tactical" (God, how that term is mis-used /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif) light of some sort. At least, that's what I would have preferred back in the day.

And if is a grunt, DEFINITELY get the red and green filters for whatever you buy. The green is for use with NODs; causes less "flare" than other colors, especially white.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Take a look at the Anglelux by Electro Lumens! It's a military bent neck light with a Lux III in it instead of the incandesent bulb....looks just like the Army issue complete with filters except whin you look into the lens!!!

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
I think an L4 with a McE2s 2 stage would be really cool:

1.Flood beam
2.With the 2 stage switch in the stock Z52 tail cap you have high and low output ( I run the 22 Ohms board for low output and long runtimes )
3.Still small enough to carry in pocket.
4.No bulbs to replace.

I also cut down a black anti-roll bezel cap from the old AA Minim@gs (still see them in the new packaged lights) to hold different color filters ( would only use them on low...may melt if ran on high for long periods ) shown below with a red filter.

f6082579.jpg

HTH

Aloha,
Bill

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 / L2 is nice but they don't have throw. Consider the latest KL1( has good throw) and an Aleph 3 cell body (fits two AA or three cr123 cells) and a Mce2s two stage tailcap. Dont forget the Surefire red filter and maybe a blue one too. Also have Kevin at BatteryStation.com send over 40 cr123 batteries.

Also throw in a Dorcy 1 or 2 AA LED light. The Surefire e -series filters work great wtih them.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good quality AA powered light is also a good choice. Since most everything in the Army is powered by AA's now, tey are prety easy to find. I'm not too sure just how easily anyone can get 123 cells though. In the higher speed units, and those with decent supply sergeants (unlike mine) they should be able to get them. But others might not find them so plentiful. I really like my 4AA Princeton Tec PT-40. I've been using mine with rechargeable Ni-Mh. I have plenty of access to AC power, and I packed my Ac to DC inverter in case we were actually going to be doing our job, as mechanised engineers. My track is usually hooked up pretty well powerwise, as ling as I don't let the mechanics see the work. It's almost as bright as the 4 cell Mag that I use the bulbs from, easily enough to search people and cars, and still light and small. It's also durable to take the inevitable drops, and falls that will happen. A good AA powered LED light is a good idea as well. Long running, without being so bright that it ruins night vision, and gives the enemy a good aiming point. Just something too use to root around his ruck, find stuff in his humvee or track, and for finding his way to the nearest john. What is jis job going to be? And any idea where? Those are question I should have asked earlier. If he's going to be doing force protection at some camp, he could probably get away with a larger light, and even a rechargeable since he'll probably have a decent amount of access to 110v AC power. If you can find that out, I can give a few more ideas.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the heck out of my Inova 24/7. I then passed it off to a fellow Marine in Fallujah to use for the time being.

My line-up, Longbow Micra for all purpose (reflector and UCL lens was added on), SL-TL-3 for reach out and touch someone. SF M6 on the way for kicks. CMG ultra/Energizer foldable LED book light for late night usage.

I can get a hold of 123's prett easily. The PX out here sells SF stuff (usually g2's, saw some G2Z's, and a Z2.)

The other Marines around me ordered the A2 and L2. Those two seem popular.

Opalec modules for Mini Mags are also cool, got 2 of those on the way.

Inexpensive, reliable, and easily abtainable batteries are all good.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does your PX sell stuff that matches? I mean the one where I'm at has some wierd matchups. For as long as we've been here they've sold the MN01 lamps (for the E1), but never had an E1. They have a few P60's in though. Only once, did they actualy have a 6P, and about 4 G2's. Those all went very quickly, like 2 days. The G2 is a very popular light. They also have had 3 of the rechargeable kits for the G2 for about 4 months, but the prices are too much for most people to pay. They did have some KT-2 turboheads for the 3 cell lights (but have never sold a 3 cell light itself), but I bought 5 of them because the price was so good. I bought one for the kit, and the other 4 for the bulbs. It's just insane to try and sell lamps for lights they don't have, and to never get anymore of the lights that sold that quickly. It is obvious that the PX isn't being ran for profit.

watt4

Enlightened
just a note: (if you don't have time to order batteries from a cpf dealer at a good price)......

a stateside AAFES BX had lithium AA and AAA in stock, but the commissary had the best retail prices on lithium AA's and 123's.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ust bought a new light today (my third impulse buy since I came home for R&R) that seems like it would be a great light for this use. It's the Gerber Recon. It uses a single AA battery so batteries should be easy to come by, and it's pretty small. It has a single white LED, but three colored lenses in a rotating bezel (there is also the white one, for a total of four positions), red, green, and blue. It's about as bright as the standard Infinity, maybe a little brighter than the regular white, but not as bright as the Ultra. It's a bit bigger than an Infinity, but for my uses it replaces two of those so it's a great space saver.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unicorn,

All I see in the PX are SF G2's and 2 packs of batteries (in terms of SF on a regular basis, G2Z's pop up every now and then.)

Some knock off stuff shows up too, Like a 1 Watt LED running DD off 3 AAA's. Inova Micro lights are there too.

Yeah the PX gets weird stock. Like all Jelly and no peanut butter, LOL. Lots of dip and no tortilla chips. Sometimes I wonder.....

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I have a LOT of respect for people who risk their lives for their country...

For that reason... I would get him a Surefire U2.

I would feel that he deserves it.

SS

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
StainlessSteel said:
I have a LOT of respect for people who risk their lives for their country...

For that reason... I would get him a Surefire U2.

I would feel that he deserves it.

SS

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD.

I would think a E2d, and a KL-1 would be nice, In fact after e-mailing with my young tanker cuz,I now know he has good access to 123's. I decided to send him my E2d and KL-1.
I got two KL-1's but for some odd reason have really come to love and EDC my stock E1e and sometimes W/ KL-1. I also sent a red ultra -G, (he's got a white one) I figure who could use them more?? me a musician on tour, or him who is having to get in and outta the abrams more often now, not a hard decision ....

BTW happy holidays and a big thank you to all from this board that have served, and still are. Thanks for being there between us and harm. God bless. VDG