Longbow Mods?

Polarbear2323

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been reading through these forums for a while. I love it here. Between the beamshots and the homemade wooden lights some people have made I'm having a great time.
I'm into drumming and photography and I ran in the NYC triathlon this year.

I put together a list of possible mods I want to do on my Longbow Micra and I'm looking foreward to reading some of your feedback and suggestions.

Here goes it:

1. UCL Lens (Not sure if I'm going with the UCL or the UCL - LDF)
2. McCapsule - Luxeon III TX1J with BB700

3. SO17XA Reflector.

Do I really need the reflector? From the beamshots it looks like you get more sidespill with the 17XA.

Thanks!
Steve

rycen

Enlightened
Re: How\'s My Longbow Mod List?

With the refelctor you will get a bit more sidespill but it's not a huge difference.I think a lot of the reason why people use the refelctor is because it really smooths out the beam although the throw is not quite as tight.I also have the UCL which makes a difference when comparing to the stock plastic lens.My micra is stock as far as LED and current.Can't really help as far as the McCapsule is concerned but I do have a PR-T LuxeonIII emitter BB750 converter that is small bright and throws.

DSCF0516.jpg

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use a Fraen LP with UCL-LDF. Gives a wide hotspot with some spill all the way out to the sides. The throw is less than that of the stock optic, but it still throws halfway decent, and the beam is more of a pleasure to use at close to medium range. I don't rely on this light mainly for long throw, though. I use another micra with booster head for that.

If you are looking for max throw, stick with the original optic and get an UCL. You can also get an UCL-LDF, but I like that more with the Fraen LP since the beam is more circular. In other words, UCL-LDF doesn't fully take the squareness out of the Carclo's corona. If that doesn't bother you, though, it will throw a little better than the Fraen LP, if that's what you want.

I do not recommend using UCL-LDF with a 17mm reflector. You will hurt throw (which isn't that great in the first place), and the beam will be no smoother.

If you want to be more specific about what you want to use it for (close or far, or maybe some compromise betwen the two), I could give you more specific recommendations. I have tried every combination with this light that you can imagine. Stock Carclo 6deg, 15 deg, 25 deg, Fraen LP, NX-05, NX-01, 17mm reflector, modded minimag reflector - all with UCL, UCL-LDF, Acrylite, and scotch satin tape. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, I like my micras. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Polarbear2323

Newly Enlightened

I'm taking notes. This is some great info..
I'm mostly going to be using this light as my EDC around the house at night, in my car or when I go hiking - lighting my way down the trail. I really don't mind a focused hot spot. I actually find it nice to have a big hotspot. A good compromise would be getting the best throw and biggest hotspot for long range use. For short range use I might get a Surefire filter for map reading and such.

DavidR

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the ideas. A longbow micra will be my next light and I have been trying to find mod results.

freefall8

Newly Enlightened

MilkySpit modded my Longbow Micra with a UCL and 17mm reflector. To me, the beam just seems better, even outside at medium distance.

Not bad for a $15 upgrade.

Latest posts