Mine's Bigger Than Yours - Hydra SLA

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine\'s Bigger Than Yours - Hydra SLA

In moment of "creativity" I built this; Hydra SLA

hydrasla.jpg

Three BIN U4S 5 Watt Luxeons each with their own full size Mag reflector. They are mounted on a seperate heatsinks and the three heatsinks are bolted to a 3/16" thick steel mass plate. The heatsinks were carefully fitted to the reflectors for tight focus. 6V Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) rechargeable battery dives them for about 3 hours.

sla1.jpg

sla2.jpg

sla3.jpg

While this peaks out at only 7000 Lux, it throws one big spot that easily lights up stuff at over 300 feet. Not quite as bright as the stock incandescent 55W bulb, but then it would only run about 20 minutes where these Luxeons run for about three hours.

Makes one great emergency room light when pointed at the ceiling, very bright.

Max internal temp was 135F on the heatsinks. Not too bad considering it's all enclosed in a plastic case. The U4S Luxeons never get overdriven, as they max out about 700ma each fresh off the charger. Current after 2 hours still above 500ma to each Luxeon.

The only hard part of this mod was sizing everything to fit just right when the bezel is screwed on. Otherwise, a simple mod with amazing results. Not the prettiest thing around, but in the dark, all that matters is what comes out the front window. You really can direct drive Luxeons with a SLA battery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mine\'s Bigger Than Yours - Hydra SLA

let's see.....you've got 3 x 100 LED lumens from the get go. Even if you lose a substantial number in the lens and the reflectors, that's still easily 200-250 lumens COMING OUT of the front end.

awesome.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

rookie

Enlightened
Re: Mine\'s Bigger Than Yours - Hydra SLA

Cool, a Super TriStar.....

Great job, Kevin..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif