Anyone else spending too much money on lights?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the past 6 weeks or so, I've bought a Q-III, an L4, an McE2s tailcap, an E1e, an Arc LSL-P, an Arc LSH, and have ordered a Pila charger and 2 batts as well as an HDS Ultimate (and 24 batts). Thats probably $600+, excluding the yet-to-be-made HDS. And I'm dagnab close to ordering an Aleph. Thankfully, and for reasons I can't comprehend, I have no interest in a U2.

Now, this is no different than buying a $600 pistol or a $600 whatever. But, Holy Mother of Pearl, blowing $800 (including the HDS) on flashlights is sick.

I will say that I think I can curb the spending, and I'm not blowing money designated for silly stuff like food and clothing. But this is a little out of control. I am, however, having a lot of fun thinking about, playing with, and carrying my new toys about 16 hours/day.

Ok, I feel better now. I wish we'd have a power outage.

best regards

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
It's definitely a fever. I myself, have bought a Q-III, SF U2 & L6, and I've ordered that little light from Sharper Image, all within the last month.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
darn you guys are lucky to be able to work and get your own money and buy what you want and invest into your own interests.... Can 12 year olds get jobs? I mean, in a week I can buy a SureFire L7 right? even with the cheapest job ever... it sure is hard having the flashlight bug at the young age of 12 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you gloating????? dont be so mean. Were you caught with the flashlight bug when you were 12? It is the most "great" feeling in the world. The most you can do is gape at lights online while begging your parents on your bare knees for permission to buy a light. WITH YOUR OWN MONEY. Then they realize that your hobby is a great thing they can use to their advantage, like bribing me. "ace this quarter and I will let you buy a Gerber infinity Ultra", "go to harvard and I will let you buy an E1z or whatever you were talking about" it goes on and on...

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I've spent more on flashlights in the past 6 months or so than ever before. I spent a lot on Everleds when they first came out and couldn't be happer, but there's just so much cool stuff out there that once I broke my own Surefire barrier I've just gone nuts. .

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem here. When I think I'm spending too much on flashlights, I just switch over to my other hobby and spend too much on knives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
You think you guys got problems... let's see, used Bridgeport mill with DRO and collets, New 13 X 40, AC variable frequency-drive lathe with 5C closer and taper attachment and DRO, not to mention $5K in additional tooling, which ain't over yet! Spending too much on the flashlight hobby? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Uh Larry,
You still have a *real* job! I think I can make your expenses look paultry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif My wife is successful in real estate. It is my job to bring us down a few tax brackets! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Mags - I had to spend 19 years in school in order to afford these toys, three of which entailed me living in a funeral home while I went to law school. So don't sweat it if you don't get everything you want. I still don't get everything I want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, Don, my wife is a commercial real estate lawyer. Ain't it nice marrying up the food chain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

best regards

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Well, at least you're adding your minimum-wage (but a lot of overtime) contribution to the family budget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Larry

red_robby

Enlightened
hey mags, did you ever end up getting that Ultra from your parents ?
i'd like to send you one just so you can Bomb you next quarter and show your parents what you got for it...

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Define "too much" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I just bought a Blaster 3P, a Lionheart and a Surefire L4. A few weeks ago I got a Streamlight Jr 1 watt Luxeon and a Peak Everest (love that thing!). I'm considering a Tristar Phaser, but maybe sanity will kick in soon. Probably not though.

Also considering a MarcelloC Nettuno 3 divers watch and a Kahr in 40S&W, but that's off-topic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually think of it as saving a large amount of money on lights. In the last few weeks, I've bought (received, anyway) 9 flashlights: 3 XM-3s (saved $30 from post pre-sale price), 2 Sharper image 1 watt luxeons (saved $20 from no-coupon price), 2 Nuwai Q-IIIs (saved maybe $27 from Advancedmart price), and 2 Costco 1 Watters (I'm guessing saved $18 from Nordstrom's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif price.

So, I'm like $95. ahead, right...

2 more weeks like this and I can afford a Lionheart... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
powernoodle said:

Ain't it nice marrying up the food chain? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
best regards

[/ QUOTE ]

John Kerry said the same thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

DavidR

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
You think you guys got problems... let's see, used Bridgeport mill with DRO and collets, New 13 X 40, AC variable frequency-drive lathe with 5C closer and taper attachment and DRO, not to mention $5K in additional tooling, which ain't over yet! Spending too much on the flashlight hobby? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

With all of these new tools when can we expect to see a new light from you??? Please add me to the list.

I know what you mean, I have overspent my budget on lights in the past couple of months. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I haven't spent that much on lights, really. I mean, half my paycheck isn't too much...is it?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gorlank

Enlightened
I fell in love with TNC products from the little N cell I own so I have two Keylux AA lights and a blem Hyper Lux V coming. I justified it by counting on one of the AA's being a Christmas gift. Sheesh, this is an expensive hobby. Mebbe I should go back to stamp collecting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif