XMAS Flashlight for Mother

b00mer

Newly Enlightened
Help... I am looking for a good flashlight for my Mother for XMAS. She has an old camping lantern (hugh battery and dying) which she uses for walking the dog at night. I want to get her a nice flashlight which will be bright enough to see the groundhog holes and other objects. I am looking for light and small (not too small/tiny like the SureFire Executive). I need durable and long lasting. I just started looking at older posts on these forums so I am not up on ANY of the jargon I've seen in other posts, so please keep any ideas simple and abbreviation limited. I am looking to spend < $120 for the light and will stock her up with lithium ion batteries if required. If you think my price is overkill, thats OK, then I just want the brightest long lasting light that meets the other parameters.

I went thought the SureFire site, but it seems from the other messages I've read there are lots of players in this market. I do like the idea of high and low settings.

Thanks in advance!

javafool

Enlightened
An Elektrolumens HyperBlaster 1R flashlight would be hard to beat. Bright, easy to use, 2 D batteries that will run for 8 hours on alkalynes. Lux-III LED so it won't burn out. All for $50 plus shipping and batteries.

I have more than one of these flashlights and that is probably the one I would give to my mother.

Good luck,
Terry

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Electro lumens XM-3...has a 4 hour 20 minute runtime with the L91 Li AA batteries! Going price is $40.00.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my mom a princeton tec and she uses it for dog walking. It's not too heavy to wear around the neck. Problem is she leaves them around and now needs several so she can find one. So I'd be prepared to have to buy her more when you get her spoiled.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heliotek HTE 1
Gerber LX 3.0
Inova T4 Rechargeable
Pelican M6 luxeon
Streamlight 2L Tasklight luxeon
Elektrolumens 4C Tri-Star Phazer LOL

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd go for a Streamlight Strion, its runtime is enough. It's bright, small, and rechargeable. It runs for about 1 hour on a charge. If that's long enough to walk the dog, then it seems to solve your whole problem. Your mom can just take it out of the charger, walk the dog, and put the light back on the charger when she gets home. A few hours later it will be fully charged again (get the kit with the fast charger).

I don't think I'd suggest a non-rechargeable lithium powered light for this kind of steady use.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Twin Task 2L Uses a Xenon bulb and three LEDS for high / low. Xenon is a nice flood with decent throw.

I also recommend the Electrolumens XM-3. Single brightness uses a Luxeon III and a nice clickie switch. Takes standard alkaline AA batteries. about $50.00

UK 4AA eLED nice flood uses 4AA Batteries. Also buy a the Xenon version which has good throw. Both under 25.00 dollars.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
For about $45 you could have a Streamlight 3C XP Led/Xenon light. 3 C Cells, 3LEDs which can be on always with a Xenon beam just a seperate thumbswitch away.

For more $ you can get a rechargeable version.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I'd go for a Streamlight Strion, its runtime is enough. It's bright, small, and rechargeable. It runs for about 1 hour on a charge. If that's long enough to walk the dog, then it seems to solve your whole problem. Your mom can just take it out of the charger, walk the dog, and put the light back on the charger when she gets home. A few hours later it will be fully charged again (get the kit with the fast charger).

I don't think I'd suggest a non-rechargeable lithium powered light for this kind of steady use.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I love my Strion, I don't think it's a great idea for the "older" population that needs it for general use.

- It's got a very tight beam, I believe he is looking for general illumination.
- It's probably too small for comfortable "walking the dog carry", although a great size for my purpose (EDC).
- The "tactical" tail switch isn't the most confortable to operate for the required purpose. A top mounted clicky may be best (a-la Mag).

Seems what he needs is a simple no-nonsense tough and durable flashlight. Something 2D sized.
A 2C or 2D Mag with a Diamond 1W Regulated Luxeon Bulb may fit the bill. Probably the side-emmiting or bat-wing kind for a more diffused light.
The EL Blaster is a good option also.