surefire 6P lockout????

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
n00bie here.....I have a surefire 6P and the light will not come on.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif is this thing locked out? TIA, Brad

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is locked out you can twist the tailcap until it should come on. If the tapcap is all the way twisted on (no gap between the light and the tailcap) then the light should be on. Give this a try and let us know the outcome.

-Mike

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
If it is locked out you can twist the tailcap until it should come on. If the tapcap is all the way twisted on (no gap between the light and the tailcap) then the light should be one. Give this a try and let us know the outcome.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

yuppers....all the way down and NO LIGHT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
any ideas????? thanks....

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there is still no light then it means the batteries are bad or the LA is bad (most likely). Do you happen to have an extra set of 123s around?

-Mike

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
hmmmm sorry for ignorance....but what is the "LA"?? What I dont' understand was I was using the light night before last (perfect beam, no indications of impending failure) when my truck would not start, well got truck started and then rode home (approx. 40miles), the light was off and then get home....light won't do anything?!?!?!?!

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
LA is lamp assemble... it is the unit that has the bulb and reflector all in one.

-Mike

BTW, welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
do give a more detailed description it is like the button will not even go in on the tail....!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
ahhh...thanks...for the welcome too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
The button should not move at all when the tailcap is all the way screwed down, this is normal and means the light should be on. Are the batteries or the lamp very old? Might it be possible that the light turned itself on last time you used it and the batteries are just dead?

-Mike

EDIT: Does your 6P have "Surefire" across the body of the light?

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
well the light is not very old, not even two months old. The button (tailcap) is not even on the housing....it still does not want to move in/out. There is a little ballbearing way up in there (under the spring) that appears as if it is stuck in there....

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
yup, surefire 6P along the side, www . surefire . com and surefire USA on the button end, caution hot surface on the "LA" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
6P_NewStyle.jpg

#1 is a new style 6P with the tailcap locked out. Notice the gap between the tail and the body.

#2 and #3 are new style 6P tailcaps. These have a "witness" mark that is a little circle near the base of the tailcap. Lining this up with the one on the body can be used to know when the light is locked out and the like. The button on the back should be able to move up and down when the tailcap is off of the light, but the rubber "boot" and the metal inner part should not detach from the black part.

#4 is the tailcap screwed all the way down (the light would be on if the bezel was attached /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

#5 is an exploded view of the 6P. A is the bezel, B is the lamp assembly (LA), C are the 123 batteries, D is the body, and E is the tailcap.

Does your tailcap look like the one in #2 and #3?

-Mike

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
Mike, thanks for the pics....yes the tailcap looks just like those that you posted and I do see the "circle" marks that would line up indicating "locked out." It still does not feel like the button is able to be depressed. Does the silver metal part that is inside (which retains the spring) come out of the tail section? I feel like that is what is impeding the movement of the button.

fleegs

Enlightened
ncontt, welcome.

I have had this happen with my G2 and E2E. Not sure what you are talking about with the tailcap. What had happened to me is that the batteries were dead. I used it. Turned it off, turned it on and nothing. I called surefire and the first thing they said was, please change the batteries before we go any further. I said I just got the light. It is not that old. Changed the batteries and ta da, it worked. The batteries have continued to die without warning for me.

Good luck,
fleegs

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
fleegs....I was beginning to think the same thing. Guess I will try that before I move on. Thanks guys for all the help and I will report back.

Brad

ncontt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
fleegs said:
ncontt, welcome.

I have had this happen with my G2 and E2E. Not sure what you are talking about with the tailcap. What had happened to me is that the batteries were dead. I used it. Turned it off, turned it on and nothing. I called surefire and the first thing they said was, please change the batteries before we go any further. I said I just got the light. It is not that old. Changed the batteries and ta da, it worked. The batteries have continued to die without warning for me.

Good luck,
fleegs

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

just an update, FYI......I got a new box of batteries in today from SF and popped two new ones in.....VOILA....let there be light....thanks a meeeellion to all that helped.

Brad

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries do die suddenly - every batch of SF batteries I've had, whether they came inside lights or boxed packs of 12, have done that. They run till the very last minute and then quit. There's not very much in the way of dimming, so it does cause some surprises. Many times I've been holding the light while the cells quit so I know it's not a lockout/self-discharge issue. I'm like "where'd my light go?" (usually it dims to moon mode on LEDs) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

I've measured almost all of them on a DMM, and they indicate extremely little energy remaining.