Website Review Spam

Canuke

Enlightened
I was looking for information on the 30-minute Energizer NiMH charger and didn't find much here, so I entered the following search string into Google:

" CH30MN review "

Assuming you get the same hits I did, notice something odd? Most of the return hits are commercial sites, and the hits are in their review sections... and the exact same string of words is in them all:

"I upgraded this week to the Engergizer 30-Minute charger (item CH30MN) for $27.00..." (SIC, including that typo in the brand name. )

Evidently, someone is copy-pasting here. Spam? Likely, but interestingly, nobody is the beneficiary of such SPAM outside of the Energizer brand itself, as opposed to a competing Web site (as judged by the still-intact comment on Amazon). I find it interesting that there might be spammers-for-hire that use methods other than email spam and malware.

So much for the value of consumer reviews on commercial Web sites. I know now to rely on enthusiast boards like this one (where applicable), because unlike ordinary SPAM, you have to build credibility on those, without getting banned.