Key-LUX N Cell Flicker/Flash

fuelblender

Enlightened
I noticed on a worn N battery (Energizer Alkaline) that my Key-Lux flashlight will flicker, but it's more like a strobe effect. A fresh battery won't do this. Is this a feature that lets you know it time to replace the cell?

gorlank

Enlightened
I know there was a thread on a flickering issue on the N Cell lights. It had to do with a contact issue of the tailspring, a piece of folded tin foil solved the problem. It happened all the time with my N cell until I used the foil, even with a fresh battery.

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
Another issue was that TNC was sent some plated contact springs. The simple fix that I used was to use some sand paper to sand the top and bottom of the spring, and that seems to have done the trick.

DasFX

fuelblender

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dasfx said:
Another issue was that TNC was sent some plated contact springs. The simple fix that I used was to use some sand paper to sand the top and bottom of the spring, and that seems to have done the trick.

DasFX

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Gorlank, DasFX, I tried the sandpaper trick and it seems to have fixed the flickering problem. If the problem re-materializes I'll try the aluminum foil. You guys are good.
Happy Holidays!

fuelblender

Enlightened
Darn, it's flashing again! Battery voltage is 1.31V. Tried cleaning the positive contact, sanding the spring, tried the aluminum foil, stretched the spring - nothing works except replacing the battery. The light is still pretty bright except that it still flashes with a worn battery. Any other suggestions?

javafool

Enlightened
Did you clean or lightly sand the inside of the tailcap where it contacts the spring? Also try cleaning the tailcap where it contacts the battery tube. If none of that helps it may be time to contact Chris.

Good luck,
Terry

Wisti

Newly Enlightened
Try another battery !
Though the voltage of the used alkaline seems to be high enough it might be not capable to deliver the current needed .
I´ve experienced similar with my Arc AAA LuxIII mod .
Alkalines aren´t able to deliyer high current .
You´d better go with NiMH .

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar problem with my CMG Infinity Ultra-G. It would turn itself on and off when the battery would get about half drained. (about 12-15 hours) Usually it would stay off, till I smacked it against a table, then it would relight, but only for a few seconds to a minute or so. I sent it back for an exchange. I'm no expert, but it sounds like the electronics in the light require too much current. I bet it's the same with your light. I'd try to exchange it for a new one.