How far will you go to have the best led light?

Spork

Enlightened
I want to say I'm a big fan of led lights. I can afford just about any flashlight I want but I won't let myself buy a arc or surefire ls. Why does everyone here feel they need one of these? if they were more reasonably priced I would definitely get one. My x5t and 7 led streamlight together cost about half what an arc ls would. I know the arc ls has more throw but the other lights are still very reliable and nice and bright. I want to support lights that everyone can afford. A flashlight is a useful tool to me and a hobby. Now that led flashlights are common i feel it shouldnt cost that much money for one. if the arc could match the legend lx then i might consider spedning 120$ but from what I've seen and read it doesn't come close. So how do you guys justify spending that much on a light when there are so many other good choices out there? I am just a little annoyed that so many good lights are ignored and companies like arc and surefire are made out to be the only good flashlight makers in existence. I do have to admit that the arc aaa is signifigantly better than any other keychain light and has a reasonable price. i've tried a lot of other keychain lights but they all use the crappy 2016 batteries. nothing can compare to the arc for a keychain light in my opinion. I hope i didn't offend anyone in this post. I just wanted to show some support for the other good companies out there that bring us high quality flashlights.

MrChri5

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm hesitant to spend to much on a light myself, comes down to personal preference. i usually weigh cost, performance, and feature before making a decision. And I can rely on the CPF to provide the desired info:^)

Saaby

Flashaholic
As long as you've got an Arc AAA I'm happy. To spoof Lee Iacoca, if you can find a better flashlight...buy it!

But seriously, can't the same argument be made about almost anything? A $20,000 Chevy will get you from California to New York, as will a $120,000 Mercedes, $40,000 Saab, or $8,000 Kia.

My $15 soldering iron works fine, but not as well as a $200 one.

Guess it's just one of those things you have to come to know for yourself. If you're happy with your lights, so be it
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Are you wearing your Nomex underwear?
smile.gif

Actually I think there are very few members here who think that Arc and Surefire are the ONLY makers of good flashlights. Arc and Surefire may be the favorites, but they by no means have a monopoly on good flashlights. In fact, the companies are so totally different in their offerings and size and focus, that it is tough to group them together.

For some folks there is more to the equation than output and durability. Style, "wow" factor, function, feel, even rareness... all can come into play. For some, supporting a guy who bends over backwards to make what enthusiasts like us want, is somewhat of a passion. We WANT to keep Peter in business.

So how do you guys justify spending that much on a light when there are so many other good choices out there?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Heh. Does "buy them both" ring any bells?
smile.gif
You mean there are people out there who can leave a flashlight *unbought*?

Saaby

Flashaholic
P.S. I can't afford Nomex, so I went for the resourceful approach and made some clothes out of the recently-diseased curatain from school. It's old enough I'm sure there's some asbestos in it
shocked.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you post a picture of that. I think several of us would get a kick out of seeing your "school curtain" outfit. ;>) TX

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is just a flashlight forum. Try visiting a watch forum, where $600 Tag Heuer's get pooh pahed as inferior.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by txwest:
Could you post a picture of that. I think several of us would get a kick out of seeing your "school curtain" outfit. ;>) TX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">like a scene out of Sound of Music

Saaby

Flashaholic
grin.gif
Ok, so can we stay on topic, at least until the matter at hand is settled? We can get back to this later...really.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Mrchri5-I like the idea of spending $120 and getting something that is new tech,quality gear.Very few hobbies allow a person to own the best so cheaply.
Whether or not it is worth it to YOU is another story.
Probably the best flashlight I own (value wise) is an Ill Pill mod that Lambda sold me.It was made in an old minimag he had.Perfect color Luxeon,bright,runs good on rechargeables-$35.So you don't have to spend $120 to get quality.
I still think under $150 to get top of the line gear is a pretty sweet deal.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
"How far will you go to have the best led light?"

Don't know, I'm still on the road to find out.
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by geepondy:
This is just a flashlight forum.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">JUST a flashlight forum? Don't make me take you out back behind the woodshed and open a can of whoopass on ya geep!

This happenes to be THE flashlight forum....

Spork

Enlightened
I understand what everyone means. but i consider the lights I have to be top of the line also. on the arc page it even states that the ls is not a finished product. if i were to buy one I want it to be more finalised. also they cant keep up with demand and i hate being on a waiting list. i bet it will be difficult getting the kl-1 also. leds are improveing so quickly im hesitant to spend that much. even the standard white leds are becomeing brighter.what i really want is someone to make a ls light useing something like the long life lens for really good throw. i do end up buying them all sometimes. i just bought 3 new ones this week. i think my 7 dollar kmart watch is superior to to any 600 dollar watch because it still tells the time and it would be no big deal if lost or broken.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrichi5-

I requested direction with the same concern you have. Some CPFers dircted me to, for the mean time, purchase exactly what you have. There is, however, something to be said for owning leading edge technology. For a rookie like me, saving my $100.00 bucks for 6 months to a year is best. At that time these guys will have invented things I can only imagine.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was recently fortunate enough to purchase an Arc AAA. After hearing all the praise members have bestowed on this light, all I can say is WOW.

For its size I can't believe how good it is. My Mag Solitaire really pales against it.

I would love an Arc LS and when I get an opportunity to purchase one I'll jump at it.

BTW, my TAG collects dust in the drawer while I wear a TIMEX!

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Troy. I may not be able to afford the most expensive car, watch, binoculars, etc., but for a little over a hundred bucks I can own one of the very best and brightest flashlights and I get a kick out of that. However, I did feel the need to buy another LS, just to keep in the safe.
Do I have it bad?

OTOH, I haven't yet been able to justify the cost of the M6. Christmas is coming though.
grin.gif

Termac

Newly Enlightened
Re: How far will you go to have the best led light? *DELETED*

Post deleted by softhackle

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by mrchri5:
I want to say I'm a big fan of led lights. I can afford just about any flashlight I want but I won't let myself buy a arc or surefire ls. Why does everyone here feel they need one of these? if they were more reasonably priced I would definitely get one. My x5t and 7 led streamlight together cost about half what an arc ls would. I know the arc ls has more throw but the other lights are still very reliable and nice and bright. I want to support lights that everyone can afford. A flashlight is a useful tool to me and a hobby. Now that led flashlights are common i feel it shouldnt cost that much money for one. if the arc could match the legend lx then i might consider spedning 120$ but from what I've seen and read it doesn't come close. So how do you guys justify spending that much on a light when there are so many other good choices out there? I am just a little annoyed that so many good lights are ignored and companies like arc and surefire are made out to be the only good flashlight makers in existence. I do have to admit that the arc aaa is signifigantly better than any other keychain light and has a reasonable price. i've tried a lot of other keychain lights but they all use the crappy 2016 batteries. nothing can compare to the arc for a keychain light in my opinion. I hope i didn't offend anyone in this post. I just wanted to show some support for the other good companies out there that bring us high quality flashlights.

MrChri5
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is why I am going to market a 3 'D' cell flashlight, which I would consider a 'entry level' sort of Luxeon Star flashlight. Not real expensive, kinda too big, something you wouldn't mind throwing in the glove box of the car, or having in your house for emergencies. I would like to call this flashlight the StarLux. I have a web page on it now:
Elektro Lumens StarLux, 3 'D' Cell Luxeon Star Flashlight

No, not $150, or $100, or $75.
I will be probably be selling it for $49.99.

As soon as I am able to, I'll get one of these monsters to Craig, for his review. I will also get a Blaster to him, but I am waiting for some parts to be manufactured for it. The Blaster will be of a higher quality flashlight, at a bit higher price.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Latest posts