Making a 4D Mag lighter - DIET SUCCEEDED!!!!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've resolved to lose weight... well, not my own weight, but the weight of my lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I need diet suggestions for this 4D Maglite of mine. Note that I DON'T want to change the external 4D housing.

Current configuration: Luxeon V WX1U running on a BB917 converter, 4 D cell body. When loaded with Duracells, the weight of the batteries is 556 grams. (all units in metric because all the datasheets seem to be metric.. sorry guys)

On top of that, I'm suspecting I'm not getting full power from this mod because the BB917 cannot take more than 1.5A of power on the input side. I am suspecting I'm looking at a severe voltage slump on the input because I'm using alkalines. A switch to NiMH seems on the cards. If anybody can confirm/deny the input characteristics of the BB917 that would be very welcome.

These are the ideas I've come up with so far:

1. Re-sleeve the Mag for 4 C cells, 4.8V, 4500mAH, but I'd still be looking at 1.7A on the input. Weight of batteries - 336g, I save 220g.

2. Re-sleeve the Mag for 5 or 6 Sub-C cells, 6 or 7.2V, 3300mAH, for 1.3A and 1.1A input respectively. If I use 5 I'd still have to come up with some kind of dummy spacer. Sub-Cs are a little smaller, so suggestions on what kind of pipe I should be looking for would be great.

The disadvantage of the second idea is that it would take two charge cycles on a 4-channel, 4-bay charger to reload the light (5 or 6 cells, after all).

3. EL's 3toD adapters - somehow I don't seem to want to go this route.

Suggestions welcome.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Re: Making a 4D Mag lighter - ideas?

drill holes all in the body of the light

voila! a lighter light

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Look for lightweight "retail" D cell nimh batteries with nimh sub c cells inside.
These are the air filled cells that many stores have available in the 1400-2200mah range.
Great weight reduction with better on demand current for good light.

Plus your magg may even be able to float when it falls into the pool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Drop in a couple of SAFT Li D cells (nominal 3 volts each) and fill the empty space with a lightweight filler, like blank D cells or a long spring.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
drill holes all in the body of the light

voila! a lighter light

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Very Funny.

The first Swiss Cheese Mag ever!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

3rd_shift: actually...that is an interesting idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I recall seeing some GP 2200mAH D cell batteries and thinking "I could get more juice outta AAs!"

HarryN: cool, 6V from SAFT lithiums. But at $20 each I would go broke.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

former_mag_user & turbodog: I have been having a vision of a Mag with an integrated cheese grater all evening.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Take the batteries out and make them into an external pack wired to the light, then fill the light up with Helium. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Despite helium, cheese graters, and the seefood* diet, we have succeeded!

(* As opposed to seafood diet. "I see food, therefore I'm gonna eat it" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

3rd_shift is our rising King of the Mag Mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

So, with me as the Prince of Cheap (and thus lacking minions to my dirty work), I am wondering.. why should I outsource the Wrapping of the Cells to someone else, and not only that, PAY them to have the honor to wrap MY cells? Furthermore, the Gold Peak (GP) 2200mAH D cells weigh 71 grams, I would need 4 of them (284gm). While looking at their page, I saw that an equivalent AA cell with 2200mAH would weigh only 31 grams. So not only am I paying for someone to wrap them, they would make me carry more weight too. This is unacceptable!

So I figured, why not take AA cells and wrap them myself.

During the process, I discovered that 5 AA cells will equal the length of 4 D cells. This fits in with my plan to use 5 Sub-Cs to boost the voltage to 6+V so that the converter won't have to work as hard and will be able to deliver full output. I used some cardboard from one of the packages that made its way over to me recently, and fashioned a holder for 5 AAs. I padded the tailcap with some aluminium foil over a cardboard slug and THERE WE HAVE IT, the Mag's battery pack has lost weight! From a whopping 556gm (1.25lbs), it is now a svelte, slick 140 GRAMS! From a 2.4lbs (total weight) beast, it is now 1.4lbs! The Mag is now NiMH, capable of delivering the high current drains that the converter needs, has a higher voltage so the converter needn't work so hard, the LuxV is now driven at full power.. and it is STILL backwards-compatible with D cells for the day I need to switch to primary cells.

Further adding to my satisfaction, my wallet has not lost weight.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Just make a storage chamber to push the cells into place, now you can put a dorcy AAA inside as a backup light so you can change batteries in the dark.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

*eyes the ArcAAA* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif

That would actually be *COOL*, because you can carry the big light with you, and when you run outta juice, you pop it open.....and inside there's a smaller light!

It could be done. I could cut a hole in the cardboard holder, put a smaller holder in, tape it in place... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rising King of the magg mod? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

I certainly appreciate the compliment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But don't let me kid anyone,
It has taken a lot of patience, thinking, and a lot of bad words said now and then to get this far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

But it's been a lot of fun overall, and I very much look forward to modding some more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

You could even put a $1 keychain light inside... be lighter and give you enough runtime to get by with in an emergeny.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

3rd_shift: same, it's not been an easy journey, but that's what makes you all the better for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif you've got some very good ideas for the situations where I'm left scratching my head. This is the same WX1U Mag that I almost got rid of on B/S/T. Now that I'm driving on NiMH, it looks so much better, tint has improved, the whole nine yards.

When I was contemplating selling this one off, I was having visions of a 3C with a Fatman converter at 1000mA, because the Fatman can pump some serious amperage from the input side (which the BB cannot - 1.5A is around its preferred working current). Pair it up with 3 x 4500mAH cells and a LuxV, and that would be awesome. I'd be pushing something like 2.25A and according to George it is so overbuilt I needn't even pot it for thermal conductivity - even at that amperage!

Of course I'm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif currently so this is a far better solution, like I said, I'm cheap. It has something to do with Surefire relieving me of a large wad of cash this Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenLED: At the currently measured drain of 1.20-1.25A, I'd be looking at maybe 100 minutes (calculated). Those little AAs sure have a lot of juice and they have no problems sustaining the current draw. They're quite comfortable even up to 4 amps - same cells going into my Mag85 whenever Carley finally delivers the reflectors.

Will do a runtime test later today when everything is nicely charged up. Pix will follow too.

Lynx: Good point. However, an ArcAAA would fit slightly better, running parallel to the AA cells. A keychain LED may stick out far enough to throw the cells off center. They must be centered to touch the electrical contacts.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

or you could put a mini mag inside that has been lightened similarly with an arc inside of it.... lol

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
...what's your runtime like with the new batts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, took a while to get that sorted out. Runtime is 1 hour 15 minutes on the batteries, very impressive for what it does. The next step up would be 5 x C-cell NiMH (more than double the runtime, probably 2:30 minimum) or 4 x D-cell NiMH.. D cells will probably run it forever - calculated out to be something in the region of 6:30!

I still may have to let this light go back on BST again.. oh well. It is a nice light, but I may not be able to afford to keep it.

lymph

Enlightened

Here's an idea - put a little white or red LED inside the empty space that's wired to the endcap in such a way that when you open it, it turns on. Sort of like a refrigerator light or the light under a car's hood. It can have its own battery and work as a "service light" for the flashlight - aiding in battery changes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Making it automatic would be a challenge, but I wouldn't rule out the keychain light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hmm perhaps some sort of contact wired to the keychain light (we will need a power source after all and 2016s seem to be about right)..

Alternatively, you can have the whole Mag for $130 (incl. shipping) and try it out...:D