What's your weather like today?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s your weather like today?

I'm amazed how our members interact from all over the world, and come from what I'm sure are very diverse environments. So - sitting here on a Sunday morning - I wonder what the day outside looks like to you, and maybe what you did or were going to do this Sunday (Monday I assume is work, and therefore much less interesting...).

For me, it is about 58 degrees F (about 14 C) outside, gray and raining on and off. Very atypical for sunny Southern California. Besides chores and Christmas shopping today (thankfully my wife handles most of that..), I would have thought about going swimming at a local pool before lunch, if the weather were better. Also, play with some new lights, of course.

As it is, probably just sit in front of this computer some more.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

javafool

Enlightened
Re: What\'s your weather like today?

It is sunny and 72°F here this afternoon. I was up about every 1 1/2 - 2 hours last night checking the fire with my 20 pounds of pork shoulder on the Big Green Egg. Cooked for about 17 hours and the wife and I pulled pork about 1:00 pm for my co-workers lunch tomorrow.

The bad news is that I am really tired this afternoon. The good news is that I had a great excuse to play with my new LionHeart off and on all night long.

I roasted 250 grams of coffee from El Salvador this morning and then we put out the outdoor Christmas lights and decorations. That is about it so far. Just suffering through Sunday NASCAR withdrawal and looking forward to February when the racing begins again.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

53 degrees Farenheit outside. It's been raining since yesterday.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

73F, cloudy with wind out of the south at 9 mph. It's my kind of weather -- I'm not running heat or AC or shoveling. 7:]

raggie33

*the raggedier*

27 below zero and rain and winds around 80mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Nerdgineer,

You're airing our "dirty laundry!" (We don't have weather in SoCal!) Oh, 55degF and raining. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Larry

javafool

Enlightened

Hey B@rt, my wife and I both used to work for Philips.. .. .till they sold our division to some holding company, that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

They were a great company to work for but screwed us royally on our pensions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i'ts currently 14ºF/-10ºC... 0ºF/-18ºC with windchill... a few clouds moving in, but mostly clear.

we have a "Special Weather Statement" in effect claiming there is significant snow and ice possible Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday morning and a "Winter Weather Statement" in effect issuing a "Wind Chill Advisory" for the night, calling for lows of -15ºF to -25ºF. yes, that's below zero ºF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Anchorage:
----------
Temperature: 12°F -11°C
Conditions: Haze
Winds: NNE 8 MPH NNE 13 KPH
Relative Humidity: 91%
Barometer: 29.65 Steady
Visibility: 2.50 Miles 4.02 Kilometers
Feels Like: 1°F n/a

Duncan

Newly Enlightened

Wolfville, Nova Scotia:

Temperature: 3°C
Feels like: -2°C
Wind: W 26 km/h
Gusts: 54 km/h
Relative Humidity: 35%
Dewpoint: -11°C

And still no snow on the ground, sigh.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

39°F and cloudy with a few isolated showers.
Wind chill factor 35°F
Wind S. 6mph.

The rain is expected to pick up again after sunset, which is one major reason why I don't expect to have a photograph of the PGL-III 190mW green laser illuminating cloud bottoms before I return it. (The other reason is that I no longer have a tripod for my camera). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sigman, just curious, what are your reasons for living in Alaska? I grew up in N. Vermont and thought that was cold and dark enough in the winter and could not fathom moving to a climate that is more so. My cousin who has spent many years in Anchorage now resides in Dillingham of all places. I forget his job but believe money is the reason why.

Actually in reading weather statistics, Anchorage (one of the more warmer places in Alaska) is not too much more colder then my birthplace in northern Vermont but you guys have no summer! Does it ever hit 80 there?

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
Anchorage:
----------
Temperature: 12°F -11°C
Conditions: Haze
Winds: NNE 8 MPH NNE 13 KPH
Relative Humidity: 91%
Barometer: 29.65 Steady
Visibility: 2.50 Miles 4.02 Kilometers
Feels Like: 1°F n/a

[/ QUOTE ]

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wind: from the N (350 degrees) at 5 MPH (4 KT) (direction variable):0
Visibility: 5 mile(s):0
Sky conditions: mostly cloudy
Temperature: 78 F (26 C)
Dew Point: 77 F (25 C)
Relative Humidity: 94%
Pressure (altimeter): 29.91 in. Hg (1013 hPa)

Sky's darkening outside, perhaps a little rain coming thru. Rain is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:Sigman, just curious, what are your reasons for living in Alaska? I grew up in N. Vermont and thought that was cold and dark enough in the winter and could not fathom moving to a climate that is more so. My cousin who has spent many years in Anchorage now resides in Dillingham of all places. I forget his job but believe money is the reason why.

Actually in reading weather statistics, Anchorage (one of the more warmer places in Alaska) is not too much more colder then my birthplace in northern Vermont but you guys have no summer! Does it ever hit 80 there?

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Anchorage is our "big" city with a "small town" atmosphere...though traffic can be what we perceive to be "bad", it's nothing like some of the cities I've lived in down in the "Lower 48" States.

Though not as cold as Fairbanks, we have a few weeks of single to minus digits of cold temps. We had "record breaking" summer temps this past summer! Anything over 80 is almost unbearable! No air conditioning in the house, but plenty of fans when it's over 80!

No summer? Well the summer is short but we have those loooooong days of sunlight! That's a benefit!! Conversely we have those loooooong days of darkness during the winter! Great flashlight & fireplace environment!

I compare living in Alaska to living in the middle of a National Geographic magazine! The fish & wildlife, hiking trails, mountains and other scenery...just can't get enough of it!!

Lived in Alaska for 12 of my 21 years while in the Air Force...met my wife here. It's home for us!