Back it up, NOW!

LED-FX

Enlightened
Wish had paid more heed to all this drive image stuff before now....
60Gb IBM Deskstar just lived up to its other name, Deathstar.
Its a lot to lose in a drive crash, just remeber it could be you.

Adam
Stuck trying to remember passwords for things, Doh!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel for you. I had a RAID 1 (ENTIRE $#*()! array - I suspect Other Causes, not disk failure) go south recently......... thank god for OFFLINE backups! At least I still managed to sleep that night! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

Try Western Digital, those have been very kind to me.

watt4

Enlightened
led-fx, maybe try one of those live linux CDs. they allow you to boot up and run linux off the cd, and you might be able to recover some data (move it onto a floppy or usb drive).

DOS..... reminds me, I saw a copy of "DOS for DUMMIES", copyright 1991, in a used bookstore the other day. great condition, I don't know if there is a newer version.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worked in a computer show for a few years plus lots of home computers and I can't recommend any particular brand of hard drives. The Maxtor's and Western Digitals have gone bad just as much as the other's. In fact back in the days when the 2-6 gigs were the norm, it seemed like we had the best luck out of Samsung drives that we sold.

LED-FX

Enlightened
At the moment am surviving on a couple of elderley WDs, though friend of mine who works in IT support for a call centre used to refer to the Caviars as Cadavers...

IBM`s drive divison now belongs to Hitachi, Hitachi along with Fujitsu believe is Japanese for "total c&*p"

Used to like quite a lot of Samsungs stuff, had a Samsung CDR drive that just kept on going, unlike Sony whose quality seems to have gone down the pan since Mr Sony checked out.

Any reccomendations or warnings would be welcome.

Thanks
Adam

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Network attached backup is what saves both my sanity.. and my job.. and I don't mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They warned me about Maxtor and the Prophecy of the Fish... avoid. The Prophecy is True. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif