Modified lights and newbies

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I often see a post in any one of these forums by a newbie asking for a flashlight recommendation, and invariably someone will suggest a modified light immediately (or better yet, suggest they buy a stock light and modify it themselves).

Is that such a good idea for someone new to this affliction? Modified lights are neat, but if you dive right into them you might be in for some nasty suprises (such as lack of warranty support).

Also, in the LED forum, the regulars consider CR123s "normal batteries," but they're generally an unknown entity outside of photography and flashaholic circles. Before I joined up, I wouldn't consider a CR123 a "normal battery" since it's not available at a convenience store and it seems a quite recent phenomenon to see them on store shelves anywhere other than camera stores.

Any thoughts?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, idleprocess, the way i look at it is, if you were in the bike business, you would encounter the same thing, looking for advice ona bike and someone tell you to buy it and get a different component, but the average consumer wold never consider it normal. I just happen to be too into it to not know. Same thing goes for knives, firearms, heck, everything.

IT's just a natural expertice in a given area, I think with ENOUGH info, this type of info should be encouraged. heck, that's how i got to be the owner of a mag85 and a host of modded mags today, along with many stock lights from surefore, CMG, inova, El, and so on. if it were not for people like ginseng, litho123, fivemega, and so on, i would never attempt to do such things.

The keys for the new folks to read the threads first before they dive into it, because most all the info is here, it's just matter of search for them. but the search engine here is still a mystery to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nick

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I think that it would be more appropriate to point them in the area of an "entry-level" model that's closest to what they're looking for, lest they be dissatisfied with their purchase and you.

I don't know of many people that started photography by dropping several $K on a top-end SLR system (even though that's where many enthusiasts end up) and fewer people that recommend that route.

[shrugs]

AuroraLite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
I often see a post in any one of these forums by a newbie asking for a flashlight recommendation, and invariably someone will suggest a modified light immediately (or better yet, suggest they buy a stock light and modify it themselves).

Is that such a good idea for someone new to this affliction? Modified lights are neat, but if you dive right into them you might be in for some nasty suprises (such as lack of warranty support).

Also, in the LED forum, the regulars consider CR123s "normal batteries," but they're generally an unknown entity outside of photography and flashaholic circles. Before I joined up, I wouldn't consider a CR123 a "normal battery" since it's not available at a convenience store and it seems a quite recent phenomenon to see them on store shelves anywhere other than camera stores.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I too am a newbie on this forum, and never really get into the whole mod light scene until recently.

IMHO, it seems to me that the recommendations from our fellow cpf members mostly will depend/reflect on the demand for the light--more specific the request, more accurate recommendations will be made.(for ex, 'a small bright light' vs '2AA non-modded LED that is under 60 dollars...')

To go into Mod lights or not is truly a personal choice--to some members, it could be the creativity/originality of the mod lights that appeal to them; whereas some members would strictly stick to the mass market lights for easy replacement and extra assurance.

Though I am really new to the mod light scene in cpf, based on what I have read and seen, most good modders on this forum would warrant their lights to a certain degree. If it is a faulty product, most are very willing to replace/work it out with the owners.

Whether one wants to use 123 batteries for lights is similar to whether one would like look into mod lights--some would try the batteries with the lights, and would consider the premium price is ok to bare with the performance they get; while some others would only sworn by the normal AA or AAA for easy access and cheaper price. I myself remembered skiping a heartbeat or two, when I first noticed the price of 123 selling in 7-eleven...but then once I found cheaper places to buy them and the light shining from the business end...everything seems to be cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Of course, by the end of the day, the motto of CPF says it all--When in doubt, 'buy them both'! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif