Any Holiday Lighting enthusiasts here?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just less than a half hour ago I turned on (well, the programmer turned on) my 2004 Festive Lights Display. Just over 12000 bulbs including nearly 3000 LEDs:

xmas04.jpg

For more information see http://displays.bulbmuseum.net . Loads of photos to follow there in the days and weeks head too.

Am I alone or are there other exterior seasonal illumination enthusiasts here? This is your chance to post a photo of your display for the world to see.

Happy Holidays!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice job, Chris. I just spent most of the weekend stringing lights and it's almost done. Are those garland lights hanging from your gutter made by GE and common in your area? I've got some white ones my wife found a few years ago. I had never seen them anywhere else, until your picture.

Geoff

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! That looks very good. I have seen some houses with alot of lights and sometimes they are just too too much, but that looks darn clean and nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Cameron

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
ACMarina said:
Clark Griswold??

[/ QUOTE ]
I think his display used a LOT of C 7 1/2 blubs, rather than miniature incandescent or LED light sets.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Very nice, Chris! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kewlpics.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone! I try my best to keep it ordered and colour-co-ordinated. It`s all good, but I have seen quite a few large setups that can only be described as tacky. So many colours, so many blowmold figures, so much rapid random blinking, all crammed in to a tiny lot. But I admire the effort taken of course, it`s great to see *anything* round here, most people don`t bother. Brings some cheer to the long cold nights.

Now how`s about some photos of everyone else`s lights?
wink.gif

<font color="purple">Are those garland lights hanging from your gutter made by GE and common in your area?</font>

They don`t have any brand that I`m aware of, other than the generic "Santa`s Premier Holiday Time Fun Etc" (I forget exactly!) that so many light sets have. They were imported here, I havn`t seen garland lights like that in this country yet. Got them from a company in Sicklerville NJ, who were bought out by someone else last year and promptly had most of their range cut back. They also used to have blue ones which I had used for the past few years. Unfortunately after only one season (last year) I`m all out of spare bulbs for these green`uns now so if too many die this year I`ll have to start eating in to one of the "swags" to keep them going. The green colour is fading already too - not very good quality bulbs. I`m probably going to retire them after this season in favor of some deep-blue LED Icicle lights I found recently. I know icicles are *very* common, but not the LED kind. Already have a couple of them in use around the front door and garage this year.

Unless anyone finds green LED Garland sets between now and next November...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm probably not quite done yet. I think I've still got a few more strings of lights to find a place for.

Lights.jpg

Geoff

EricB

Enlightened
I've become a holiday lighting enthusiast due to LED's. I started out about 3 years ago, when I first stumbled on the LED Museum, and read about the Forever Brights. Back then, they only had those bare straight edged LED's in red,amber,green strings, and supposedly a blue and white string. I began searching the Rite Aids and Tru Values, which were listed as the dealers, but none carried them. I It was only Harrow's in Long Island that had them, but not the blue and white. I didn't bother with them that year, but did find a small C-battery operated red-orange-yellow-green string at the local K-Mart (I even ued it for a bit during the blackout. Now, my wife uses it on her little table Christmas tree). This began an annual tradition of going out into Long Island during November and December, and seeing all the decorations on the homes; many of which fill the yards. (they do that here in the city as well, but LI looks more interesting).

So the following year, the Forever Bright came out with its new C6 sets, and I got one multicolor (red,amber,blue,and the unChristmassy yellow-green), and the slightly lavenderish white, which when placed outside venetian blinds, makes it loo like daylight outside. I placed that in one window, and the other in the other window.
The following year, they were supposed to come out with newer brighter ones, with pure green, and an artificial purple made by coloring a white bulb, but I never saw these anywhere.
That year, I did hunt down the cool red and white fiber optic pointsettias that were displayed on 34th St. (Macy's Herald Sq, area), where the edges glow. I pounded the pavement looking for them, and the closest I could find were these flowers with butterflies in them in the oriental stores; but then finally found them online at christmaslights.etc

This year, Forever Bright came out with a whole bunch of new items, including frosted C7's and C9's, but I still could not find any of these in the stores. I did see the new faceted C6's, C7's and G25's in the city's new Lowe's; but I wanted to see the frosted. I wound up having to order the white anc multicolor from two different online companies. In the meantime, I decided to try out Carpenter's Intellishine RGB C7's, and found my mother's unused Dept.56 6 bulb light string, and got a voltage converter from a Radio Shack and hooked it up. This kept the color window full while I waited for the Forever Brights.
I also looked at ColorKinetics' RGB MR16 for one of the pointsettas, but after seeing one at a dealer, I concluded that it would not be bright enough compared to the halogen, and since this bulb uses separate Red, green and blue LED's (with four reds in the center, surrounded by four blues and greens spread out on opposite sides); it would not even mix the colors well. I guess it would act like the color wheel in which different solid colors would shine through diferent parts of the plant; but then once again, it would's be as bright. (I even tested it with one of those cheap LED pens that contain a red, blue and green).

So far, last year, I saw one house in Massapequa Pk. LI (near Sunrise Mall) that was completely decorated with Forever Brights. I want to pass by again to see if they have them again, or have the new ones. Elsewhere, I would see a bush or two, done with the whites or blues. One card store near me has the new C6's in their window, and a pizza parlor a couple of blocks from there has a string of whites mixed in with incandescents outside over the sidewalk. On Davis CA to light Community tree with LED's, I discuss how LED's are becoming more prevalent in Midtown Manhattan (Christmas Central, to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For next year; hopefully, it will be the holy grail of Christmas lighting. Individually addressable LED lights where I can completely mix and control the colors. I discovered Color Kinetics' iColor Flex this past Summer, which is more commercial oriented, and not particularly a Christmas light, but can be used for any exterior decoration, including graphic signs. So it is about $450, and I was still tempted to press to get it, until I found a good "excuse" not to. In the spec. sheet, I see that the primary red color is a 617 "amber" (orange, actually). That would throw the colors off, and I would want at the lowest, 625.
Another company says they may be coming out with a similar product, and it would be better and cheaper. This is what I am looking forward to. I will also be looking into festive_lights.com, which someone here linked too, because they have a lot of nice LED stuff, such as those spiral or branch only trees.