Garmin Mapsource!!!!!!!

freeze12

Enlightened
Mapsource is very expensive but so are others. i have a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 and thanks to garmin they sent Me the new version of "City Navigator North America vesion 6" for free!!!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Add to that the fac that you can't get it on Mac (Reasonable) and the USB cable for their GPS won't even work with VirtualPC (Outrageous!) You have to go through a serial converter.

In fact, it's the *ONLY* program I have to have VirtualPC for. I have a Mac equivalent of every other program I need to use.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
They are expensive, but just about all the updated and comprehensive map sources are. I upgrade just about every year.

I WOULD love an editor to fix the obvious errors. A major freeway that's 100 feet to the north of where the map thinks it should be makes my garmin show me on the frontage road. I'd like to be able to add a new street or address rather than wait till next year's update.

Daniel

Saaby

Flashaholic
Speaking of errors, how can we submit omissions, errors, etc?

2 things stick out around here,

1--There's a major street (5600) here, but when you approach 5600 at the intersection of 4100 it calls it "Wolverine Road" because of a nearby high school who's mascot is "Wolverine." Problem? *NOBODY* knows it as that, it's 5600, if you were not from around here you would be very confused. There is no sinage calling it Wolverine eithwe.

2--The major freeway nearest my house is SR-201, also known as 2100. There's a large, very gentle Arc in the freeway and so my GPS thinks it's 2400 S, then you 'turn' (By following the freeway) onto 2100.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very expensive, as are the receivers, but they work amazingly well which helps justify the price. And at least you typically get the entire nation in one package. With CitySelect that costs $130. Try to buy individual paper maps state-by-state of all 50 states and part of Canada for $130 and you won't get very far and you still wouldn't have small streets, address-level data or all of the information on gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc. So if you look at it that way, it's not too bad. Of course nobody needs that level of information for every inch of the US, but it's nice to have some obscure area available when you need it.

A pet peeve of mine has long been that you can't easily find an address as you drive down the street because there are very few businesses that display their address number in a way that can be seen from the street. The GPS solves that problem.

It is very expensive technology, but it works.

I think a big factor keeping the prices high is that each manufacturer has its own proprietary format for maps and the receivers can only load maps by the same manufacturer. All the work of creating and updating the maps is duplicated by each manufacturer. What a waste.

One enhancement I would like is if the address find feature took you to the actual location of the building instead of the spot on the road where the address fronts the road. This would be handy for finding those locations buried in the back of a shopping center or business park that you can't easily see from the road.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Check out the link below for a lot of information on how Mapsource pricing is affected by the royalties paid for the maps that Garmin uses as source documents.

http://www.gpsinformation.net/main/gpsmaps.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Great writeup, now I understand the mapping situation a little better.

If paying for maps is tough, try being in the Asia Pacific region, where MapSource doesn't cover! My Garmin GPS V spends more time clocking how far my lights throw than any real GPS work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh, and by the way, does anybody know of a good place to purchase Mapsource Metroguide Australia? Yeah - horrible prices, but the product works well, so... guess I live with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, Garmin's upgrade cost you fortune. That's why I went for TomTom Go and it's very nice gps device.

DaGeek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
Toss the Mac then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya I say lose the Mac to. LOL

DaGeek

Enlightened
Does anybody know if it is legal to trade mapsource software??
With friends of course... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Surefiregeek said:
Does anybody know if it is legal to trade mapsource software??
With friends of course... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mapsource has the same sort of licensing restrictions as most other commercial software. Check the license for the details. Without having the specifics at my fingertips, I would assume it is not legal to copy it to others, but you can probably give/sell/trade it to someone if you stop using it yourself. Garmin has an activation code system that ties the Mapsource to a limited number of specific GPS devices, by device serial number, and you may run into trouble with that even if what you are planning is within the terms of the license. Unlock codes for additional GPS units can be purchased from Garmin.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You most emphatically will be violating copyright by sharing your software. In most part of the world that's illegal.

The exception would be if you are sharing your GPS to which the mapsource software is assigned. The data is licensed to be used with one GPS.

I've a StreetPilot III and an e-map. The second unit license is free with purchase for the main unit.

Oh, and the newer maps won't work without a code given by garmin based on the unit ID of your GPS.

Daniel

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yup, you could copy it but it wouldn't work. Product activation linked to the GPS serial number.

Latest posts