PLASMA TVs: Any experience with big ones? (55-60")

brightnorm

Flashaholic
PLASMA TVs: Any experience with big ones? (55-60\")

We've finally decided to indulge ourselves and splurge on a BIG plasma HDTV set. The choices and details are pretty overwhelming and the price range from one online store to the next is huge.

Any advice based on experience is very much appreciated.

Brightnorm

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PLASMA TVs: Any experience with big ones? (55-

Brightnorm,

Before taking the splurge (a very expensive splurge) what exactly will you use it for. Basic TV? HDTV? DVD'S? Plasmas can be great, but they have a couple of shortcomings. Fisr, they can burn in. So using on with a HTPC will require a screensaver. If displaying a 4:3 image on it, it will have black bars on each side that will over time burn in. If your using it to watch High Def, they're great. If you get a plasma, Make sure it's a High Def model and NOT an "Enhanced" Model. High Def requires at least 720 lines of resolution whereas "Enhanced" models generally "down rez" high def signals to 480 lines(DVD quality).

Heres a tread to check out:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=2&forumid=40

tech

Newly Enlightened

Two words... burn in.

They have several big plasmas where I work. They use them for announcements and running news programs.
What they didn't realize was the most news channels have tickers scrolling at the bottom.
These huge lovely plasmas are now ruined. You can see the edges of the stock ticker on the screen no matter what you are watching.

Plasmas burn in badly. I do not believe LCD's do... or at least not as easily.

LCD is the way to go... check out Consumer Reports... they dumb it down to my level.
T.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not a big fan of LCD for watching tv. Black levels are horrible and ghosting is to noticible. They make great computer monitors since they do not burn in. In time, I think their problems will be fixed, but for now I'd pass. Not to mention the cost. Sharps new 45 inch LCD costs about 8 grand whereas a comparable Plasma is about half the cost. Actually I'm with Neg2LED, get a projector.

kenny

Newly Enlightened

I saw some DLP projections at Circuit City a couple od weeks ago. I really don't think much of most projection TV's because of poor brightness/off axis viewing issues, but these were VERY nice. Priced about 1/2 way between plasmas and regular projection TV's, I think you should at least look at them. They were so good that I initially thought they were plasma. When you get the plasma right next to it, you can definately see that the plasma is a bit better, but for my money, not reall worth it, especially considering the shortcomings of the plasmas.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll agree with the suggestion to read up on them on
avsforums.com. That will help you find the models with
decent blacks etc.

They are prone to burn-in so you will have to be careful.
But many people think they are worth the trouble.

Greg

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Thanks all for good advice

BN

gessner17

Enlightened

I would also reccomend a projector, either DLP or LCD. I have used both and I would reccomend either, obviesly the DLP will be a little better, just make sure you get plenty of lumens and one with a bulb that isn't impossible to find when you need another one. Another point not made is plasma tv's require upkeep and can leak their "gas" out and have to be refilled, can be expensive as plasma techs are not common folk you see everyday.

henryinnm

Newly Enlightened

Brightnorm,
No experience with the big sets but I recently got Comcast digital w/ an HD receiver to go with the HD-ready Panasonic Tau series (4:3 aspect, 28in.)I've got. I'm disappointed with the amount of HD programming currently available. Many stations have yet to upgrade to HD. Where I live only 2 local stations have made the plunge to HD, so when they say "presented in HD where available" make sure you understand that 'available' is the key word. Personally, from what I've read, you'd be happier with a 4:3 aspect set than a 16:9 if you view a lot of low-res TV. Another thing: plasma's are sweet if they're working OK but service is very expensive. This is a technology that still has some problems. I'll wait awhile before going to a 16:9 set.
Just my 2 cents.
Henry

All opinions are mine- get you own.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
henryinnm said:
I'll wait awhile before going to a 16:9 set.
Just my 2 cents.
Henry

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice henry. Unless you have availability to High Def or use them to watch DVD's, they don't offer anything other than being flat and expensive.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened

I realy like the idea of plasma but not right now. Burn in is a problem and over all I hear they can lose brightness.
Personaly I would get a DLP projector or a rear projection tv that used a DLP

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

rear projection DLP is excellent, and the good ones don't suffer from the edge on viewing problems that you normally associate with rear projection. Of course, I watch so little TV anymore that by the time that one was replaced it would probably have cost me $10 for each program i sat down to watch to get a good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But have a look at those, they are really nice!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I've seen burned plasma screens - it gets ugly when they start to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have experience with the larger plasmas like 55" and above, but I do own a 42" Sony Plasma display, which I bought 3 years ago when they were about US$10,000.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The price you pay to be on the bleeding edge of technology.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mine is an early 3rd generation plasma screen that had better black/near black definition than the earlier ones, but the contrast ratio isn't as high as the current generation though. So far, I have had no problems with burn in since I don't use it in 4:3 mode at all, but "expand" low res programs to "Panorama" mode to fill up the 16:9 screen. Absolutely fantastic for watching DVDs and really gives you a cinema feel, especially with a good surround sound system. I have a Nakamichi SoundSpace 12 to fill the audio requirements here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I was thinking of going with a projector prior to buying the Plasma, but the main problem is that you need to darken the room significantly before you can watch it, and this is a real drawback. The plasma is bright enough that you can watch it in a normally lit room without any problems. From my experience, I would suggest that you go for the Plasma. As long as you take care of it, it shouldn't have any problems.

kenny

Newly Enlightened

I don't believe they had the DLP projection units when you bought yours, next time you are in an electronic store check them out -- I was really surprised how different they are than the regular projection TV's and also how good the off--axis quality was. Mind you they are about 50-100 percent more expensive than the regular projection units, but are still 1/2 of what the plasmas run. -- that$3K would buy a LOT of flashlights!

Dmax

Newly Enlightened

My 2 cents..

My Plasma is a 6th generation Panasonic EDTV(852x480) unit and even regular 4x3 DirecTV programming looks great. DVDs and HBO look even better. Plasma displays appeal to me because of their astethics, wall mounting option and I really like how rich the colors look.
Plasmas do suffer from burn in if you have the same image displayed for many many hours. You can limit the risk of burn in by turning by making sure your new plasma or any new tv for that matter has it's brightness and contrast turned down from the "Torch" mode they are set to at the factory so they stand out on the store floor.
Contrary to an urban legend pasmas do not leak gas and do not (and can not) be refilled. Newer plasmas are rated to run for several thousand hours before they loose half of their brightness.
A front projector with a quality screen is a good home theater solution if you can control the outside light sources in your room.
LCD, DLP and LCOS rear projection tvs are only in their second or third generation and the technology behind them is not as mature as plasma. They do offer a compleling alternative to plasmas, especially because the price difference is significant as you go to 60 inces and above.
It is my understanding that all LCD and DLP rear projection units as well as front projectors require their bulb to be replaced at approximately 2 year intervals at a cost of $150 to $400.
You can find a lot more information on www.avsforum.com