o-ring lube, foam donuts

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to figure out what's the best lube to put on o-rings, and a source for foam donuts ala arc aaa. have a few plans to best make my own but if i can find a better solution i'll do that of course.

out of desperation i used olive oil on one of my aaa lights and i've not used anything that worked better, but don't know the consequence long term when it comes to breaking down the rubber, etc.

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
If you search around here, that discussion was a while back. If I remember right, a lot of people suggested some silicone based grease from an automotive store. The kind you might put on spark plug wires. I got a tube of this: Loctite Silicone Lubricant 51360. I think there's so much in there, they'll be able to bury me with what's left when I die.

Oh yeah, on the foam donuts, I believe someone at arc suggested to me to get corn/bunion protectors.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 120+ lights to lube up... that tube looks about the right size.

the corn protectors work for the AA lights, don't think there are any small enough for the AAAs... the additional problem: the LiON batteries have a positive 'post' that is the exact size of a negative on alkaline batteries, so the ring has to be very small around the edges or i have to build up a bump of solder for the positive to hit.

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
If I remember correctly, Dr. Scholl's actually makes two sizes of those corn pads. After reading this thread I went out and got the large ones, and found the same thing, they are too big. However, after looking at the pics in the thread, I notices that the package says "Small". However, I haven't been able to find those at the local Rite Aid.

DasFX