Standard Body for SF KL5/L5?

BBL

Enlightened
Is there a standard (non-'CombatGrip™') body available for the KL5/L5? I imagine a P6 body, just HA3.

The P6 isn't available in HA3 but maybe some body from a rechargeable or weaponlight that fits?

maybe someone with more knowledge of the surefire lineup has an idea.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi BBL,
Any of the standard SF bodies will fit the KL5 but I just don't know anymore which ones come in HA3. E-mail our friend and resident SF expert Size15's at [email protected] and he'll be more than glad to fill you in which standard bodies are available in HA3. Another thing you can do is what I did with my KL5 and that's to use an E series 2X123 body with a Doug Speck E2C adapter. The E series body threads into the E2C adapter and then it threads into the KL5. HA3 E2C adapters come up on the B/S/T forum all the time for around $25.00. The 2X123 or E2e bodies are all HA3 and with the E2C adapter IMHO, it makes for a handier and much smaller "L5". The E2e and L4 bodies, (which is same as an E2e), also come up on the B/S/T forum frequently for around $35.00-$40.00.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Simple answer is no.

There might be a 6P in HA or two floating around but they are so rare that I doubt you'll find somebody willing to sell.

The KL5 is a HA part. Rumours of a standard Black version have yet to show any product in public use that I'm aware of.

If you must have HA then the "E2C" aftermarket adapter to an E2e (etc) body is perhaps your only option.

A note on "HA".

SureFire use "HA" to mean the Hard Anodised "'natural" grey finish. There is no need to call it "HA3" or "HA III" because there is no such thing as "HA2".

That's like saying "Hard Anodised SOFT"

There is no such thing as HA2. There's HA (which is HA Level 3) and then there's Level 2 which is standard, not hard.

Unless some anodising expert stops by to prove me wrong, the term "HAII" is rubbish (trash, utter tosh etc).

HAII is like saying Hard Anodised soft/weak/decoration.

SureFire state that their "HA" is Hard Anodised to Mil-A-8625 Type III Class 2.

Mil Spec Type II is sulphuric acid anodising which is usually dyed provides the very basic in corrosion resistance, abrasion resistance, and dielectric properties.

Mil Spec Type III is sulphuric/oxalic acid anodising which produces a thick and dense "hardcoat". This "Hard Anodising" or hard coating provides excellent abrasion resistance and corrosion protection, as well as other useful attributes but is often difficult to colour [without weakening it].

Al

BBL

Enlightened
OK ok, i was just using a common term here... basically, what i care about is only the color.
Its quite disappointing that surefire only offers those 'CombatGrips' with limited (imho) every-day ergonomics in this class. questionable, considering their marketing aims completely on private, non le/mil customers...

I currently dont own any surefire light at all. I just have to decide if i go for the L5, L4 or none from surefire. The L5 would be interesting because of all the tailcap and head-options, but i want to be sure about the ergonomics before i spend a few hundret $ on a flashlight.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I personally find the CombatGrips very useful. I'm not a "tactical" user at all but I find that the CombatGrips give me a more secure grip. If possible, I suggest you try it. I doubt it'll be as your appear to be expecting.

I'm not quite sure what sort of options you're thinking of that the L5 has over the L4. If you're thinking about getting a TurboHead then the L6 would be a significantly better choice in my experience because the KT4 TurboHead powered by three-SF123As is more powerful and more useful.

What is your intended application for the flashlight?

Thanks

Al

BBL

Enlightened
I would use the light for edc/everyday use - but i'm not quite sure if the L5 isn't too big for that role /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I rather need a wider beam than a spot.

of course, the 'flashoholic' in me also permanently affects my decisions, thats why the L5 is interesting. For example i like the option to convert the light to a M2 just by putting the M2 head on it.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
I personally find the CombatGrips very useful. I'm not a "tactical" user at all but I find that the CombatGrips give me a more secure grip. If possible, I suggest you try it. I doubt it'll be as your appear to be expecting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! I got an L6 recently, and I expected to *hate* the combat grips. I was fully prepared to remove them. But once I got the light, I tried carrying it around for a couple of hours with the grips installed - just to be fair - and I found that I *like* them! I've really tried not to like them - everytime I use the light I fret that they are going to make my grip uncomfortable because they look weird and are awkwardly placed, and every time I've used it so far, I find after a few minutes of walking I've forgotten how I'm holding the flashlight and am just using it quite comfortably. Indeed, the syringe type grip they promote is a really handy way to turn the light on and off. So skeptic though I was, I have to admit that those SF guys know what they are doing.

BBL

Enlightened
interesting.
guess i'll have to take the combatgrips into consideration.

how are they when the flashlight is hold like a cigar between index-, middlefinger and thumb? (switching etc.)

JackBlades

Enlightened
On my M3 and L6 I replaced the "grip rings" with that black foam tubing they put on the handlebars of beach-cruiser bicycles. It looks cool and feels great. Better, it fills the entire length of the skinny area on the battery tube body.