KL4 & McE2S v. Aleph 1 & McE2S v. U2

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Gents, I'm still debating my next flashlight acquisition and was fairly well decided on a U2 until reading McGizmo's FAQs and prices. Ultimately what I would like is something in the ballpark of an E2E in size, but throw is an overriding concern and I could live with a U2. Adjustable power levels would be nice, but I could live with two rather than six and thus an McE2S switch would do it.

I also need a red filter and noticed the Aleph 1 has a 1.25" bezel, which means it will take a SF FM35 rather than the flimsy ones available for the KL4. The U2 will also take a decent filter, but it is quite a bit larger.

Finally, I want to use Pila 168s batteries and have some on order. These will work for the KL4 and probably also the U2.

So, how does the Aleph 1 stack up to the KL4 and U2 in terms of brightness/throw, and can it deliver this on Pila batteries?

Also, on the question of durability, Surefire seems to take care of business if something goes wrong but the Aleph's heads appear to be more easily self-serviced. Any thoughts on the reliability of the lights mentioned, or downtime to take care of problems? Thanks.

Flatscan

Enlightened
Other CPFers are successfully running their U2s on Pila 168S, I believe.

I assume you want a LuxV light, but you have the option of a LuxIII that will throw superiorly in the Aleph1.

I have an Aleph1 BB750 LuxV 2x123 built by Darell, so I'll comment on it. I received it tuned for donut-hole elimination, so its throw is a little less than it could be. It definitely delivers the LuxV "wall of light" with a large hotspot that throws quite a ways for its size.

I have the impression (from reading CPF, not from experience) that throw is the weakest point of the KL4. The Aleph1 has a larger reflector than the KL4, so it throws better by focusing more of the spill into the hotspot. You can also choose (at build time or by replacing the modular Light Engine) to run more current in the Aleph to increase its overall output.

There are potential heat-related problems when running the following combination: BadBoy + high current bias + LuxV + Pila + Aleph2 head. There's a thread or two in McGizmo's forum; I'll grab the link later.

What are you expecting to go wrong? The only 2 obvious points of failure on any of these lights are the lens and tailcap. You pretty much have to drop the flashlight on tile or concrete to break the lens or stab the tailcap with something pokey. Surefire will fix it, with a turnaround time, and you can buy replacement Aleph parts to service it yourself.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you compare the reflectors using LuxV LEDs, the KL4 is a flood, the Aleph1 a medium flood with reasonable throw and the U2 a "ram of light" with better throw. Brightness depends on the drive current chosen which should be about 750mA in the Aleph to match the U2 approximately. The KL4 is a bit lower at 630mA.

Now ... if throw is the main concern you'd wnat a LuxIII in an Aleph3 bezel for laser-like monster throw with still decent concentrated side-spill. If the Aleph3 head is too large for you, the Aleph1 is the second best thrower around and much better than either of the LuxV lights mentioned above.

bernhard