UKE 2L vs UKE 4AA

Freedom1955

Enlightened
Can anybody compare the beams (throw, spill)of these two lights?
I'm thinking of buying one of them and also the 4 watt bulb for double the output.

Thanks,

rycen

Enlightened
Re: UK 2L VS UK 4AA

They use the same bulb and the same bezel so they are the same.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

iwa wondering this as well.

i know the 4w should be quite bright...but, it seems like the 2L (2w or 4w) would be slightly brighter...with the 2L having a flatter discharge, but shorter runtime.

pure speculation... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Bob

Freedom1955

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
rycen said:
They use the same bulb and the same bezel so they are the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess the only reason to buy the 2L is that it is smaller with less run time? Is that correct?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't noticed the 2L being any brighter. For all purposes, they are the same brightness and as indicated above, have the same beam.

Main difference being the form factor and batteries. I assume the 4AA has longer runtime, but I feed my emergency lights lithiums and the 123A cells are cheaper.

FWIW, the 2L is very small. A great light. Both are very sturdy, but I'm not a big fan of the switch they are now using on the 4AA (unless they have updated it). I would prefer a twisty. The UK Mini Q40 is the twisty equiv.

The 2L is an incredible light. If they would only improve the beam a bit it would be a complete home run. And of course, offer an eLED version.

BTW, I didn't realize they now have a 4W version lamp for this light. Can anyone comment on brightness, runtime and beam quality?

Thanks,

-john

Freedom1955

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
John N said:

Both are very sturdy, but I'm not a big fan of the switch they are now using on the 4AA (unless they have updated it).
The 2L is an incredible light. If they would only improve the beam a bit it would be a complete home run. And of course, offer an eLED version.

BTW, I didn't realize they now have a 4W version lamp for this light. Can anyone comment on brightness, runtime and beam quality?

Thanks,

-john

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you like the switch on the 4AA? Durability?

You can use the 4AA eLed module in the 2L.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MLong said:
Why don't you like the switch on the 4AA? Durability?

You can use the 4AA eLed module in the 2L.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno about durability. I find it difficult to press.

Yep, knew that about the eLED, but you have to buy it seperately, which drives up the price. There was rumor about an 2L eLED combo, but it hasn't turned up. Would make a nice emergency kit / glovebox light.

-john

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

"The 2L is an incredible light. If they would only improve the beam a bit it would be a complete home run. And of course, offer an eLED version."

writerite helps a lot, but it does drop the lux reading.
i am with ya 100%...i am growing fond of uk lights.

i would essentially like to see a tec-40 2L (or a uk2L with cleaned up beam)!
123's, bright, light, small, waterproof, PR bulbs.

i find the 2L to be a bit expensive, so i dont own one...YET!

Bob

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was told by a UK engineer awhile back that the 2L in the eLED format is in the works, but with some kind of upgrade (maybe the right angle head?). They're very hush hush until a product is ready to ship.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I know where they are selling the UK4AA eled right angle light for about $22.

Freedom1955

Enlightened

Just received my UKE 2L. I also ordered the 4 watt bulb, boy is this little light is bright with that bulb installed. I've also got an eLed module for it.
Just for the fun of it I put the 4 watt bulb in my 4AA with lithiums and holy moly It's even brighter than when it was in the 2L.
Eventually when the bulbs blow I'll install the eLed into the 2L permanently but for awhile I think I'm going to leave the 4 watter in the 4AA.
I wonder what the run time would be with the 4AA with the 4 watt bulb and lithiums installed?

greenLED

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
I know where they are selling the UK4AA eled right angle light for about $22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind sharing with UK fans?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool! Looks very useful.

And their price is 75 cents cheaper than Brightguy on the standard 4AA eLED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

edit: WOW! Cheap price on their 2L as well.

Mark

paulr

Flashaholic

The 4 watt lamp was meant to run with 4*1.2 volt AA NiMH cells or 4.8 volts. With alkaline or CR123 voltage sag, it should be running at about that voltage. But with 4x L91 lithiums, it's considerably overdriven and could very well blow pretty fast.

I have the standard 2 watt lamp in my 2L and it's a great little light. I've thought of putting the eLED in it, but I figure I carry the 2L for when my keychain light isn't bright enough, and the eLED isn't a big enough jump. Also, the xenon lamp has much more throw. I will probably get one of the 4 watt lamps sooner or later.

One annoying thing about the 2L (and I guess other similar lithium powered lights--I haven't owned that many) is the batteries seem to go dead with no warning at all. I'll use the light and it will work fine. Then months later I'll try to use it again and will get just a faint glow for a moment followed by a dead light. So it's important to have spare batteries.

Another light I like is the Tekna Splashlite LS. It's about half the size and weight of the 2L and uses 1x123 and a Luxeon side emitter built into a #222 bulb base sort of like an Everled. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with the UK eLED but my guess is it's maybe halfway between a CMG Ultra and the UK eLED in brightness. Its small size is great and because of its plastic body, it weighs much less than an Ultra. So I think it's a good alternative to the 2L + eLED.

Freedom1955

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
The 4 watt lamp was meant to run with 4*1.2 volt AA NiMH cells or 4.8 volts. With alkaline or CR123 voltage sag, it should be running at about that voltage. But with 4x L91 lithiums, it's considerably overdriven and could very well blow pretty fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks fo the information! I'm leaving the 4 watt bulb in the 4AA with lithiums, I want to see how long the bulb lasts. It's very bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

I have a 2L with the eLED head on them in each car (and in the boat). It is a very durable small setup.

Tesla

Enlightened

I have not encountered this problem, but my guess is that the spring in the bottom of the light is weak and allowing the lamp assembly to make contact when the light is moved, thus inadvertently turning the light on. Try stretching the spring in the bottom of the light slightly to put more pressure against the lamp assembly to force it away from contacting the contact that completes the circuit.

Muppet

Newly Enlightened

Hm, I thought that the 4W head was regulated?