Pelican 2020 Recoil LED and lithiums?

notrefined

Enlightened
Since I'm soon to be a proud (and very grateful) owner, does anyone have a read on whether the Pelican 2020 LED can handle the extra voltage if I were to use lithium AA's in adapters? I'd like it to stay in my trauma bag when not otherwise employed, but I don't want to leave it lying around loaded with alkalines that could leak. But I also don't want to risk frying the electronics, either.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it can't take the extra voltage, nor batterys that can deliver high current.

Pelican even instructs not to use rechargables.

The regulator circuit in the Sabrelite LED is very poorly engineered.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There was a thread last year that explained that the Pelican 2020 converter will suck as much current as necessary from your battery to deliver the power to the LED. It does this to drain alkalines. If you use a battery with lower voltage but still capable of high current it can cause parts of the converter to be over driven and break down.

Be very careful with any adapters you may come up with. If you put the battery in backwards (some folks have managed it by trying very hard) the circuitry will blow and essentially become a direct drive light.

Daniel