Nuwai QI vs. Inova X5T vs. Gerber Trio for EDC?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering how these would compare for EDC or camping, thinking mostly when you need a little light to look under furniture, walk around the house in the dark, rummage through your tent or backpack in the dark, etc., i.e. when you don't need a lot of throw. Also in the house or tent or car would be something with more throw for when that is needed.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gerber Trio would be plenty of light for the purposes you list. Mine has become a very used light.

The X5 would be a bit brighter, but I think it uses 123s, which is a disadvantage to me.

The Q1 also uses 123s, but would give you a lot more throw, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are after.

The Trio would run a lonnngggg time on two AAs.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nuwai QI vs. Inova X5T vs. Gerber Trio for EDC

I 100% agree with JohnK's assessment. The Trio is a very nice balance between bright and cheap to run. I have one with red leds and one with white and have been very pleased with both. I suspect that Gerber will have a hit with this one.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I have an X5T and carry it often. The Trio looks like pretty much the same light in a different form factor on different batteries. According to quickbeams numbers, they are essentially the same light, output-wise.

I'd relaly like to get a Q1, esp if it was decently white. Comparing the X5T to the QIII, obviously the QIII kills in terms of throw, but when looking at something close - say within 3 feet or so - the QIII is almost too bright.

If you can live with the longer form factor, my instinct would be to say the Trio would be the best choice. With the X5T right behind but with more expensive batteries. The QIII is a great light to impress friends or to do some work outdoors or in large indoor environments, but it's just too bright for me. The QIII with a 2 stage tail cap where the lower stage put out something comparable to the Infinity Ultra... that'd be almost perfect.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cratz - get Milkyspit to modify your Q-III for you with a two-stage switch. See the "Pimped Up Q-III' thread in the Homemade & Modified Lights forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah... I've been thinking about that. My next project is a LS modded ARC AAA. After that, I'll look into the modded QIII.