• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Orb LE Mod & Switch

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread with this stuff, Avoids making the other GB thread even bigger.

Had to have a play with this today. I have a BB 500,
I changed the 3 watt led for a 5 watt blue, only run for a short period so far of a CR123 also tried Pila 150.
The Orb can be modified with the Aleph/waynes LE.
BTW I have Don to thank for doing this first.
I am not sure of costs yet, You would need a Aleph LE & Mc gizmo 20mm reflector. Then I would thread the required thread for the LE.
The blue is to give Haesslich an idea of the tint.

blue_V.jpg

v_mod.jpg

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bit of a preview, prototype push on push off retro fit switch for Orb. AWTYD & a few others have spured me on to get this finished.
Proto_sw.jpg

Coming Soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually meant a LuxIII RB... but that does look rather cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wonder what sort of LuxV you could get into there, and what sorta reflector that would match with? It'd be kinda cool to have the brightest Orb out of them all, though.

Also, two Pila 150 cells would work with this, yes? If so, it looks like I'll have to talk to someone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, BTW the Lux V driven with the BB 500 With 20mm Reflector is not brighter than the Original 3 w.
It is much more of a flood.
Its all still interesting. & You only need 1 pila 150 (no room for 2).
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one 150? A or S? It's looking even better, then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hmmm... would that work with a 650 bias, and would that improve the overall intensity of light? I know BB500's probably the most efficient for a LuxV, however.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pial 150 S, 17mm.
Sorry don't no what a 650 bias is??
IMO I do not think you can get a better set up than pial 168s with the 3 watt module, unless you want regulation & Lux V.
Only other improvement could be to use Pila 150s so there is room for a aleph 27mm reflector (orb throw king) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif getting way into the cpf talk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McShawn

Enlightened
Wow the new switch, I cannot wait to try one out or two. It looks nice, being still external, I assume, it would maintain the integrity of the light. Nice mod with the LE.
shawn

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Orb,

I haven't had the time to pursue the project yet and I can tell that it will be a real challenge but it would appear that your light will host the 150s and Mr.Bulk's and George's LH driver. I have that Ti Orb shell and I would like to see if I can pull this off but it will not be trivial supporting the PCB and insuring a good ground path connection let alone the side hole for the switch. To do it right would require drawing the Orb, as is, and then drawing in modifications to the interior for component accomodation. Dang time consuming and lofting in the profile of your light doesn't make the job easy!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am not sure I have the time or energy required to get there and it's not like I need another flashlight, but, the result would be very cool! I think your magnetic switch would be a novel way of powering the system on and off as well since it would not need to be moved in or out of the tail that often. Although the reed switch might latch on in full power, I would assume that it would release in one of the low levels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have a TY0L LED that I would use to insure that the LED would not be overdriven in the less than ideal Ti host.

Your light has great "hand" and I think the side switch of the LH driver would just be very friendly on the slope of the head!

Sorry for the OT ramble....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello don,
A new there was a reason to get a LH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
I can email you some Engineering drawings if it helps??
Its good to get the cogs going again, Its been a while with being busy on production etc.
There has been progress today. The new switch, I think it is easier to put up a pic & a small movie. This will fit into any orb that is out there, also the lanyard can still be attached.
The flick off action /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Its up to you really you could just push of or with lanyard attached pulls of. Lots of options.
Take a look: 1Mb
New Switch Movie
new_switch.jpg

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
Try again with movie just Edited. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Very cool! I like the sound! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orb: The bias is the number behind the 'BB', the mA it's being driven at, IIRC. Higher bias = brighter LED, but less runtime and more heat. I was wondering if boosting that circuit a bit made it significantly brighter or not.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for the size of the reflector possible in orb you are better with the 3W.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered making it so that instead of flicking it off, you could push the switch out from the other side? In other words, make the cylinder longer so that when you push it in one side, it comes out the other. Also, an upgrade to this idea would be to use detents with a ball bearing and spring for different brightness levels. Now THAT would be sweet. Have it start out at low with the first click. And have full brightness be all the way in. Why? Because if you need low light, you generally have the time to carefully push the switch in. But if you really need full brightness now, its easy to quickly push the plunger in all the way.

Just some ideas.

Mark

mitchfried

Newly Enlightened
I'm ready to "switch" to the new switch. Click off would be better than flick off.

I must say that this light is impressively bright!!!