Getting over MiniMag Aversion Syndrome

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
standard.jpg

Above: Brace of Pewter finish Minimags modified by Chop and running Lambda's MiniPro III TWOJ, 2xAA and 1xAA.

I was so tired of the dadgum Mini-Maglite after 20 years of owning and giving them away to every person in my extended family and most of my friends, that when I came to CPF a year and a half ago I couldn't get interested even in a modified one.

Even on relatively short trips abroad, I learned to take atleast 10 spare lamps and 2 spare lenses with the two MiniMags I'd pack.

I remember a bulb burning out...I replaced it and stupidly laid the damn thing on a table and it rolled off and broke the new lamp as well as the lens.

Even with fresh cells, the beam was either too bright for close up work and glared off anything that would reflect or it rapidly dimmed and being riddled with artifacts and rings was barely useful at moderate distances. Adjustable focus has always been undesirable to me. I use the tightest focus, so the rest is just an annoyance to me and something I try to avoid when twisting the light on.

I happened to be passing by the C&M B/S/T three months ago and saw that Lambda had just made it available to sign up for his new MiniPro III. I congratulate myself for my sagacity in jumping on the list and was fortunate to be #25 of the first 25 builds. Thus, I didn't have to wait too long before my MiniPro arrived.

I didn't really plan on it going into a MiniMag, I didn't know exactly what to do with it. Since I'm a chimp and have no opposeable thumbs, the most fundamental modding tasks would cause me anxiety and frustration to the point I'm sure I would be throwing poo at my neighbors.

I shipped it off to our beloved Chop and left it up to him what to do with it.

He suggested a brace of matching finish MiniMags, a 2xAA and a chop'd down and rethreaded 1xAA. That way I could swap the module back and forth. I felt a little bit of that MiniMag blah in my stomach and thought "OK, if I don't like 'em I can probably sell 'em on B/S/T to one of the guys at the ***-end of the line for a MiniPro."

standard.jpg

Chop chose the Pewter finish for me and I really like it. I like it better than nekkid aluminum and I like that alot.

He did his usual superb work and here is what he said about the mods:

[ QUOTE ]
Just FYI, I put IMS reflectors in both of those mini mags and replaced the plastic lenses with mineral glass. I went with the IMS because the light retains its twisty function. Krolls suck, so I didn't want you to have to depend on them.

Take care,

Tony

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, it's so great to have an expert take care of stuff for ya. Our modders are a terrific resource, real craftsmen.

I turned on the 2AA and the beamspot really surprised me. I am very pleased with it. The combination of the perfectly positioned MiniPro III, IMS Reflector and Mineral Glass lens yields my favorite beamspot characteristics. I unscrewed the tail, carefully let the 2 Duracell Alkys Tony included slide into my palm, then let the MiniPro III slide out in my hand.

Below: Courtesy of Lambda, the MiniPro III:
minip4.jpg

Tony included an O-ring that can be installed to keep the module from sliding out when you change batteries, but left it uninstalled so that I could easily swap between the 2xAA and 1xAA.

I installed it in the 1xAA and fired it up. Beamspot looks about the same as with 2AA to me. The 1AA configuration is extremely ergonomic for me. I can carry the light in an underhanded or "mechanic's" grip and it is hidden in my palm. I can easily twist the bezel (with the hex shaped rubber anti-roll muzzle) the fraction of an inch to turn the light on or off. I can adjust it so that I have a momentary function as well.

Below: Beamshot from 1xAA Duracell Alky:
standard.jpg

Below: Courtesy of Lambda, a runtime plot of 2xAA 2100mah Energizers:
minipro.jpg

Lambda's Home Page

The 1xAA has been my EDC for several days and rides just fine in a front pocket of my trousers. I could even remove the hex bezel muzzle if it bothered me, but it doesn't.

It bumped my Arc LS 3W as my EDC. No mean feat. I'm not confident of the MiniMag's water-resistance and so it won't go into the bush with me, but around town and suburbia it's superb.
standard.jpg

Thanks Lambda and Chop for helping me get over my MiniMag aversion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Britt

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What goes around, comes around. At least I think that's how it goes. I'll have to try one of the single AA mods soon- I've got some 14500's and a charger for them, but no light really suited for 'em. Thanks for the review.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Fitzy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rechargables are wonderful. I've got 2300mah Sanyos purring along in them now.

I notice haveblue has a bunch of real nice 1xAA MiniMags for sale on C&M B/S/T right now. In a variety of colors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure do. Copper, red, shimmer blue, black, pewter and chrome. I'm not done destroying the Mag platform yet.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one for a family member for Christmas. Bet they'll be keeping theirs close at hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the major advantages of the Lambda pill over a something like a nextgen sandwich? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I haven't really looked into either seriously.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fitz, I don't know the answer to that question. I don't know enough about the various sandwiches to say whether there is or not.

I had been looking at the various sandwiches and runtime plots and output levels and just couldn't make up my mind. Lambda's MiniPro III coming with a TWOJ bin Lux III for $40.00 was the best deal I had found. Lambda's runtime plot was very persuasive, too. I like that flat plateau of regulation for 2 hours on 2 AA 2100mah NiMh with a little tail of low output to help me find my spare cells.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks- Since sandwiches are easier to find, I'll try out a nextgen and see how it goes.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You WILL NOT be disappointed with a NexGen sammie. They are very efficient and run supper cool.

I'd just taylor to bias to what the reflector can dish out. For small reflectors, 500mA is probably the best bet.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chop- I'll heed your advice about that. Looks like the Shoppe has some 500mA Nextgens in stock. Now I'll have to pick up that and a cut down Mini from haveblue as soon as a check arrives from some work yesterday.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, I got my single AA minimag from Haveblue. No problems, recomend it. You have several different options for a "bulb" in it. I think in his thread he listed all the main options.

Oh, and I don't know if Chop is selling these too. I hope I am not stealing the thread from him and his work. If so let me know and I will modify my posting.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
PB, your post is just fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
i had mini adversion syndrome for quite a but got over it last night i had a bunch of surefire p60 lamp assemblies lying around so i decided to take the bulb out of one of those and put it in my mini mag with 2 3vAAs it burns like a 6p but is definitly a sleeper but warning this setup gets hot after about 10 minutes of use and i don't know how long the batts will last but i have a 5mm led in the tail cap in case any thing happens to the p60 the led is plenty bright for walking and reading and runtime is practicaly forever

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, thanks to BC i just bought a Mini-mini from haveblue, and a nextgen 500mA TX1J sandwich and lens (and some other stuff) from the shoppe. I'll console myself by telling me that I needed it since these 14500's were just sitting here and needed a home.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Fitz said:
What are the major advantages of the Lambda pill over a something like a nextgen sandwich? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I haven't really looked into either seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lambda's MiniPro will run 1.5-volts or 1.2-volt Ni-MH and the Nexgen won't. If you use a 14500 cell then the sky is the limit for drop-ins.