Best AA Luxeon

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for best Luxeon, presumably 3 watt, that uses AAs. Most important aspect: throw/spot. My Gerber LX 3.0 is a nice light, with a beautiful flood, but lacks in throw. Is Blaster Jr. best choice, or are there other contenders?

Thanks.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the sandwiches from the sandwich shoppe are nice. Basically, the MadMax drop in modules are nice. Good for your mini or micro mag (cut down version of the Minimag). I have one and it is very bright and has a nice white tint. (in my eyes) There is also Wayne's XM3 from Electrolumens.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but according to Quickbeam's page, the XM3 has considerably less throw than the LX3.0.

Ratso

Enlightened
If the Blaster Jr. uses the same optics as the Blaster 3P (which I'm 99% sure it does), it should be a great thrower, especially for an LED. The focus is also somewhat adjustable, not so much as to go from flood to spot, but it is to help you smooth out the beam. The XM3 on the other hand, is more of a medium range light.

If you don't mind the beam quality (it is somewhat blotchy and ringy, though focusing can help), I say give the Blaster Jr. a try.

Krit

Enlightened
I have MM+LuxIII in micromag and run it with 1*AA li-ion. It is very bright. It also could feed with 1AA alkaline cell with reduce light.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope to test an optic one day. All I ever see day and night is reflectors. My MadMax (Thank you Mr Tony!!) has a great reflector. The name starts with SO17 I think and then trails off... IMO its very nice and my first luxeon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif