Soldering Iron

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Hello all, I just wanted to find out what kind of soldering iron people have been using to make their hand made teeny tiny pcb's.
Thanks for your time.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a Metcal MX500 on ebay for $250. Excellent machine.

Before I got the Metcal, I was using two of the CSI stations mentioned above. If they are sold out of the $35 model, you could spend a few more $ and get the digital model. I believe you also get a free DMM with orders over $50. Make sure to get your extra tips, shipping is on the high side.

If you can spend in the $100 range, plus tips, get a Hakko (936, I think). You can't go wrong with a Hakko.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I got a cheapo 25W one from Sears. Had to file the tip so I could solder small parts on a sammie. Other than that, it suits my needs.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Weller WES51 and for $100 ($89 on that site).. i think it'd be very hard to beat.. i will like to try a metcal some day, but i'm thrilled with my weller.. it heats up from cold in about 20 seconds and has enough power to keep the tip hot during any soldering task. I also like the ability to heat it up to 7-800 for a good cleaning in the tinning solution, then dial down to 500 for my normal soldering. It hsa a dial that goes from 350F to 800 (maybe 750).

The size of the pen is so nice and small.. the holder for the ends keeps the threads away from the heat so it doesn't get hard to change bits. The holder/sponge is a separate unit which is also very nice.

=awr

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My dad has this small pencil tip iron called *Princess*
15 watt and cute, it is great for soldering pcboards.

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the info. I am going to be purchasing one soon and needed this info! I currently use a butane powered self lighting unit at work, but I think it would be limited for my new flashlight hobby.
Thanks again all!

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the hakko 936. Heats up much faster than the Weller I used before that. Plus, I bought it from Darell, and it still works, so if it can survive him, I figure it's built to last.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Now that's a testament.

*Retired*
The Metcal system is so exact and precise that:

ISO 9000 Compliance Has Never Been Easier

To define all the parameters for soldering with a Metcal system, all you have to do is record the tip cartridge part number. As the heater alloy dictates the temperature, no calibration is needed. Temperature drift is less than a few degrees over the lifetime of the cartridge.

http://www.metcal.com/products/1.2.1.htm

Since it can respond *much* more rapidly than any other soldering iron to loads, you can utilize a lower soldering temperature then you'd need otherwise.

In production, I routinely see much less damage to boards during rework with the Metcal system, than any other soldering iron.

Typically the tips hit soldering temperature within 2-5 seconds from turn on.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the Metcal is a wonderful system for soldering, IF you can afford it. For hobby level stuff it would be hard to justify - but if you are the kind of person that likes to buy quality tools ONCE only, then the justification is a lot easier...

Changing to a Metcal from using a conventional quality Hakko or Weller doesn't feel like a quantum leap, especially if you are proficient at soldering. BUT, when you've used a Metcal for a while and then go back to a Hakko or Weller, that's when you notice the big difference.

The Metcal system of RF heating is very fast and responsive. It is surprising how a small fine tip can still manage to quickly and safely heat up a large copper area that a Weller/Hakko would require cranking up the temperature control and then cooking the poor trace/component.

george.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can testifiy to the utility of that IR heat to deal with heating a large area.. on my current design i'm making, i have to attach the grounding wire before putting the chips on or the heat from the iron kills the chips on the circuit. However.. i don't know how much the metcal costs.. $100 was a bargain for the dial a temp weller i recently picked up. I know i won't go 'lessor' anymore.. pointless..

I will have to check out a metcal, thanks for the info.

-awr

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andrew- as mentioned, Ebay is the way to pick up a reasonably priced Metcal. There are nine reasonably priced identical units from the same seller there right now. Lots of others too...

"Buy it Now" Metcal for $135

The opening bid is $100, and seeing how he has so many, you may be able to pick one up at his opening bid.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i got my iron at biglots man it is awefull. i stink at soldering anyways.i also got one from radioshack for 7 or 8 bucks but its about the same maybe ill try weller next