PLEASE RECOMMEND SOME BRITE WHITE 5MM LEDS!

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am gonna make a few solitaire "easy mod's" to give to the family for christmas. i want to get some option's on what 5MM white raw LED's to use.
my last two have had NTE300045, and like them, i just wonder if some brighter ones are available. I am a novice at this so please bear with me on spec's, but the viewing angle is 12deg's and the Lv is 7500mcd after looking around on forum the Lv 7500mcd is the percieved brightness correct? i saw some at LED suppy with a 15 deg angle and I believe 9300mcd,
the reflector being small, i wanted a narrow throw. 12 and 15 seem's like a pretty negligeable diff, so I can live with that. Just guess i want as bright as possible.I know little about "brand's" other then Nichia, and super bright(who someone once posted weren't all that"super bright")after the surgeries and complication's i don't have a lot of $$ and thought since i have 4-5 more soli's, it would be kinda a cheap techy gift. now that i got the mod down and improved somewhat. thank cue!!! VDG

mullytron

Newly Enlightened
I am using (8) pcs of a COTCO LED in a product I am working on, and they seem plenty bright, the data sheet calls out 11000mcd typical @ 20mA. Not sure if you can find these in small qty, but the P/N is LC503TWN1-15H-A

Anyone out there, these are mounted in a molded PVC head (it's a lamp), and I'm measuring around 85 degrees C on the rear surface of the head (behind LED assembly). The datasheet lists operation temperature as 40-95 degrees C, so I feel safe in assuming that I am within spec.

My question is, how can the adverse effects of extended runtime at the upper end of the operating temperature be characterized? How much does it shorten the lifespan to NOT heatsink these LEDs?

Any input appreciated.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
5mm LEDs heatsink two ways... the primary method is through the legs of the LED to the circuit board. The other method is to put a metal bezel around them. This method probably doesn't do whole lot as the expoxy of an LED doesn't conduct heat well.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool thanks GreenL. I forgot about those. I saw a thread when i first came to CPF, and it was on them. one guy said he didin't think they were "that" bright but most other post's did. so my mind probably blotted that out. I will check'em out! VDG