Need help in choosing 1 of 2 SF's

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
Need help in choosing 1 of 2 SF\'s

I am in the hunt for a new LED light. The wife's X-mas gift to me ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I am debating between a Surefire U2 and the Surefire L7. I have no major purpose for needing either of these. I have a few LED's bought specific for my job/hobbies that do well at what I bought them for. I would just like a new light. I know the ol' saying "buy both", but these are quite pricey to get both around the holidays, so I will have to settle for one. I have found lots of good info on the U2, but not enough on the L7. I want a very bright light, but I have never delt with a rechargeable and honestly I would like to try it. I just want to get all the input I can before I can make my decision. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need help in choosing 1 of 2 SF\'s

y'know, i'd say go with the U2.

if you're that interested in a rechargable LED, you can wait until the Inova T4 comes out. it'll probly be under $100 vs. the L7's $200.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a U2, and absolutely love it. The different brightness levels and it's relatively long throwmake this a perfect allround light (though I still carry my L2 more -- the two-stage switch is just extremely more functional, but the L2 has more flood).

Can't really comment on the L7. One thing too consider, though: In my eyes a rechargeable light only makes sense if you use it frequently, i.e. daily. Especially so if the batteries are Ni-based, like the L7 ones, because of the high self-discharge rate of the battery. I know, the L7 comes with a second battery, which can be charged while the other one is used, but if the light is not used for longer times, you are there with a discharged battery in the light and a full one in the charger, so you have to go to the charger, change the batteries and loose time, if you really need the light.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recommend the U2. You can always make it rechargeable with Pilas later. The L7, while a nice light, is a BIG light - really big.

PhantomZ

Enlightened

i agree with everyone on getting a U2. using the Pila (well i have Wolf-Eyes brand, same thing~) is awsome. you have 6 different light settings from 2 to 100 lumens where as the L7 only has 75. the U2 is more versatile and IMO looks better then the L7.
i'll also have to agree with my friend that posted in another topic about the U2, i find myself scrolling through the brightness settings in the dark for no apparent reasons~ lol

Steve C

Enlightened

I haven't seen either a U2 or L7, but elgarak is dead on the money about the problems with relying on a rechargeable light.

You must make a conscious effort to keep the battery "topped off". And Murphy says that the one time you neglect to do it will be the time you desperately need the light, right NOW.

I have two SL Stingers that rotate daily in and out of a trickle-equipped charger. It is somewhat of an annoyance, in that I need to remember to do it every evening to keep the lights at peak readiness, but I do it because the lights are good lights with topped off batteries, and they were issued to me for free.

And you can bet the grocery money that there are two 123-powered lights (6P in the war bag, A2 on my person) within reach, as back-ups. You simply cannot beat the usefullness of a 123-powered light; it will there, and ready, when you need it, all the time.

Personally, I question the actual utility of either a U2 or an L7; but given the choice between the two, the U2 would definitely get the nod.

cliff

Newly Enlightened

Well, I just ordered off for a U2 and have a couple Pila 168s and a charger currently enroute. I'm planning to switch those Pilas out every morning and carry some primary 123s as backup. If this outfit can cut the mustard then I will be in hawg heaven.

Cost savings is only part of the benefit of rechargeables. If you switch them out like this, you always know you are starting out the day with a full charge. With primary cells you either have to throw them away every day and start fresh, or wonder how much juice is left.

gessner17

Enlightened

I would get a U2, just the multiple levels make it worth it. It is also smaller and brighter (in my opinion).

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

Well the high setting on the U2 is going to be very comparable to the L7 [I would say identical +/- the Luxeon Lottery factor]. I know the specs show the U2 as brighter, but my eyes can not see any difference. I think SF just understated the specs on the L5/L6/L7.

To summarize what everyone above has already said:

1) The U2 can be dimmed.
2) The U2 is smaller.
3) The U2 can run either standard 123's or Pila rechargeables [the L7 is rechargeable battery only].

So if the cost is not an issue then the U2 looks like the clear winner.

I have both U2 and L7 and find I prefer Non-rechargeable batteries over rechargeable. IMHO the standard CR123's are preferable over the rechargeables unless you use the light very frequently [and thus re-charge the batteries frequently].

spinkid

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the input. I overlooked the rechargeable "PITA" factor. I think I will go for the U2 and hope for the best. Then when the T4 comes out I will just grab that for a rechargeable "test" light. Thanks again.

fivebyfive

Enlightened

Can anyone comment on how the pila and U2 setup is working out for them? This sounds like a very good setup. Thanks.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there a review on the L7 anyway? It seems like a classified product or something. I look all over and not a single review. I hope QuickBeam is reading this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now I hate to have to say this, but have you looked at the L2? or L4? IIRC both can be used with rechargable cells.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

To throw in my two cents, there is no way I would purchase a light that used the B90 battery pack. After my fiasco with four bad B90 batteries used in the 8AX, I have washed my hands clean and written off the 8AX flashlight and B90 batteries.

I'm surprised Surefire would offer the L7 without updating the battery structure as well as so many better rechargable battery technologies are available.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Geepondy,

I have read about your problems with the B90 battery pack and it almost swayed me from purchasing an 8NX. I had a long chat with SureFire about all of the problems and was assured that I would be happy with the current set up, or they would make it right with me.

So far... so good...

I am actually very impressed with the B90. I am getting longer than advertised run time, have not noticed the cells getting hot on the charger, and have gained an appreciation for NiCd chemistry. Most cells will deliver less amp hours the harder you drive them. My B90's deliver close to the same amp hours when discharged at 1 amp, 2 amps, and 3 amps.

I do have issues with their charger. I have learned that at 2 hours when the green light comes on, the battery is at only about 80%. You have to go about an hour after the green light starts flashing to get a full charge.

I am in the middle of evaluating the self discharge rate and can only say that after two weeks, there is still plenty of life left.

I know you won't consider one, but the 8AX with a turbo head is very sweet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In light of the improvements in the B90 battery pack (based on my very limited observations) I would not be afraid to get the L7. Just be advised that there have been problems in the past.

Tom

luxlover

Banned

geepondy,
You are the first member I have read, stating that SureFire is making a big mistake retaining a Ni-Cad battery chemistry in their L7 light. NiMH batteries are available in many sizes, and I'm sure that SF could build a battery cell using these instead of Ni-Cads. One more reason why I still cannot determine SF's motives.