L1 Conversion

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

I got in an L1 that had a dead converter and had the intention of converting it using the McGizmo method of turning it into a 2X123 light, but decided to do something different.

I wanted to make the light Aleph compatible to the extent possible. The problem was that all I had to work with was a PR-T head, so this turned out to be just an exploration without actually reaching my goal.

I punched out the stock converter housing and bored the body to accommodate either a Pila 150S cell or 2XCR2. There's a lot of meat there and boring still left a very comfortable amount of material.

I then fabricated a rather long Ecan to allow the short 150S cell to make contact with the converter. This was a tough decision to make. 2X123 or 150S. I would have rathered 2X123, but that would have involved modifying the head itself and I think that I would have given up some flexibility with regard to the use of different heads. Although this method does result in some wasted space to be taken up by the elongated Ecan, I believe that I save some flexibilty by staying with the 150S.

Some pics...

picture.JPG

Here you can see the Pila sticking out of the L1 body and the really long Ecan sticking out of the bottom of the PR-T head.

picture.JPG

Here the assembled light.

In this light, I used a Wiz2-950 converter with a TXOJ luxeon. Since I went with the Wiz2, I replaced the stock 10 ohm resistor with 4 ohms of resistance, to give a reasonable low beam.

The significance of this mod is that it shows that an Aleph Light Engine could be build using the standard escrew with a custom can. This would allow the use of various Aleph heads on the L1 body. An A2 head for pocket carry or an A3 head for monster throw. You could also go with an A1 for a bit of both worlds.

It also became apparent that a new boot retaining ring could be turned to protect the light from accidental activation and allow for a tail standing ability, but that's a project for another day.

Thanks for looking,

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool Tony! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The PR-T does have the room for digesting the converter further forward for 2x123 or 168s compatability but to use an Aleph with a LE, I think your solution is the only way. With the elongated can, swapping heads with the LE would be real easy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very slick, Chop! I like the option to use the various Aleph heads with it.

akula88

Enlightened
Oh no, just when I thought that L1 is already it, then came Don and Tony (again) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great work!
Now... lets look for that non-functioning L1... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tony,

I have a L1 that is hosting 2x123, a PR, BB750 and X3T (it was my idea of an L2). Want to race for pink slips? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

OK, I'll get it........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll do it if we can shoot at a target more than 50 yards away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Oh, I had a ceiling bounce in mind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I get it. You're trying to BLIND me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif