"moon-mode" ?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't get it. I've been throwing away the SF123As when they've given me their regulated output. I guess the only time when having hours of moon-mode output would be useful to me is if I was stuck in a 'cave' (etc - dark place) with a limited supply of SF123As.

Do you guys use moon-modes?

Al

Darell

Flashaholic
Only as an indicator that its time for new batteries - and when I was last marooned on an island in my FedEx uniform the other day.

Of course you're now hearing from a guy who does not think that "batteries falling out of regulation" should ever be called a mode. I'd like for lights to have a *selectable* moon mode, so I could save battery power when I didn't need huge amounts of light. To me, a perfect incandescent light would be an SF that could be switched between a P61 and an MN02 bulb, for example. I could use the thing all day for standard lighting tasks, or blind an attacker - my choice. And you can imagine an equivalent scenario for LEDs - KL1 level for high-beam, Infinity level for "moon mode."

The best use of spent 123's is in a fully-regulated device - like an Opalec Newbeam, or a KL1.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Right

Switchable output for the SureFire Luxeon is in the works in the form of the L1.
Of course we all know about the A2 with it's long runtime LED output.

I guess I was asking whether people use every last drop of light out of their LEDs or change to fresh after the regulated output has finished?

I suppose 'moon' output gives you the advantage of having light to find replacement batteries.

Al

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Size15s:
I've been throwing away the SF123As
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You meant *recycle* right?
smile.gif

Actually, now that I joke about this, I have no idea how recyclable Li batteries really are. Anybody know? Of subject, I know. Disregard, I'll go and research it....

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Size15s:
I've been throwing away the SF123As
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You meant *recycle* right?
smile.gif

Actually, now that I joke about this, I have no idea how recyclable Li batteries really are. Anybody know? Of subject, I know. Disregard, I'll go and research it....
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think you're gonna find that Li-L91 or 123/223 cells are even more environmentally friendly than alkalines.
icon15.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take full advantage of the so called moon mode. My 2AA flashlight by my bedside that I use every night has nearly dead batteries in it and it's still cruising along in reduced output mode. Perfect for the bedside. I feel much better sucking the total life out of a pair of Alkalines than tossing them with 30% of their life in them.

On the other side of things, my EDC that I carry uses rechargeables NIMH batteries and I just top it off once in while to keep it fresh. In that flashlight I use my full constant current regulated Badboy converter which generates constant light.

The one situation I have always been aware of is if I went backpacking for multiple days. I think in that situation I would prefer to have the maximum run and not a fully regulated light. I sure would hate to be walking in the full darkness with my flashlight to have it blink out in less than a microsecond. For me, I rather have the visual feedback that it's getting dimmer and dimmer and I can plan on either stopping and changing batteries or just suffering with less light. When the lights go out, it's total darkness and a real *****!

Of course I would have a photon clipped to the outside of my pack for emergency situation like this and other lights like glo tubes everywhere.

Darell

Flashaholic
I should have mentioned something here that I disregarded at first. I think I had my head into SF too deep. Took Wayne's comment to wake me up to reality.

I carry dead AAA batteries when I travel. Why? For the "moon mode" of the Arc AAA. Using dead batteries is the only way I can access moon mode, and I use it often when travelling. My wife and I read by dead AAA's all the time. I have a container with live batteries and a container with dead batteries. Sucks that I have to swap batteries to create my dimmer, but there you go. So yes, in my smaller lights, I actually do use the moon mode quite often.... and on purpose.

One thing I should try is a NiMH AAA in there. The reduced voltage might just be enough to dim the light, and I won't have to keep swapping out dead batteries that only last 30 minutes or so before they get TOO dim.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, at least with LEDs, you aren't wondering if it was the bulb that burned out, or the batteries died.

It is always wise to carry a secondary light, like the Arc AAA, Infinity/Ultra, or something you can hang from a small aluminum carabiner and clip that to t-shirt collar. I do that with my Infinity (soon to be upgraded to Ultra).

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I kinda like the slow fade at the end myself, if only because whenever a battery dies for me, its always when I really need the light. I suppose, though, if I didn't really need the light, then why would I be using a light?

Anyway, I would just use the photon until it was really dim, but modify my useage by swearing a lot and holding the light closer. Not always in that order.