Which led Lights will be memorable 10 years from now?

Spork

Enlightened
Which led lights do you think will be memorable items say 10-15 years from now? I was reading the replies to my post about "How far will you go to have the best light?" and it has got me to thinking about this question. The first 2 that come to mind are the infinity and arc aaa. I know this is another subjective question. There are just so many comeing out I only want to keep a few and trade the rest so I can keep up with the newest led lights.

Chris

Saaby

Flashaholic
The Arc AAA for sure, as well as the LS1. The founding lights for (in 10 years) the worlds largest and most respected LED lighting light manufacturer Arc Flashlight LLC

I wonder what the LLS is all about..?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for most people it will be the first "real" flashlight they purchased.

This could mean almost any quality flashlight (Arc/SureFire/PT/UKE/Streamlight etc. etc.)

For me it boils down to my first two purchases after joining CPF, an Arc AAA and a Lambda Illuminator

Both of these had (and still have
smile.gif
) a huge WOW factor, such a lot of light from a small package

rycen

Enlightened
Surefire KL's,Arc AAA and LS,Inova X5 and the CMG Reactor for being the first "mainstream" LS based light.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
o The Photon II, for being a bright little sucker on a keychain.

o The Infinity or Arc-AAA for being able to drive an LED from a single cell.

o The Expedition 300 for being the first LED flashlight that showed the first glimmer of hope of being able to compete with some incandescents.

o The Arc-LS for being the first Luxeon Star based light that anyone could buy if you knew where to look.

o Not LED, but the Light Cannon HID for being the first practical and affordable HID flashlight.

InTheDark

Enlightened
If you're talking about memorable in a global sense, then I think the only LED light that anyone is going to really remember is the Photon Microlight. I don't know if it's the first LED keychain light, but it's the first one that is mass-marketed to everyone. Just like the maglight, it may not be the best light out there (now, or before), but that's the only 15+ year old flashlight people will remember.

The ARC, X5, LC100 and Surefires are all too specialized to really be memorable, on a few people have them, the ones that never owned one aren't likely to remember anything about them. If I had any one of these lights, I'd definitely remember everything about them.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope none are. Maybe a few flashaholic will rememeber the good old days and their first light but I hope they aare as rare as the people that remembered the Radio Shack Model I in 1988, or that really fast computer with the big hard drive they bought in 1992.

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
Well, based on how often I use any of my flashlights - maybe all will be working in 15 years. The other day I actually used 4 different flashlights. They just happened to be near as I was installing different door knobs on my interior doors. Then last night I found a good use for my Badboy. Its very bright so it shines into my small convection oven thru the smoke glass to see how my bread was baking.

I vote for my Infinity Ultra-G
--Ðøug
pain6.gif

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
...as far as which ones WILL be remembered, no one can really say. As far as which ones SHOULD be remembered, opinions on that are going to be many and varied. IMHO, some that should be remembered are: 1) Brinkmann Longlife...this is the one that started it all for MANY of us! 2) ARC AAA...the first one to give a lot of us what we craved...REGULATION!!! 3) SF E2...first to give us an EXTREMELY bright light in a truly EDC size.
While the Brinkmann Longlife may be far from desireable to a lot of flashoholics, especially when compared to the current competition, it was one of the first lights to bring affordable LED technology to the masses...it's the one that got me hooked. The ARC AAA was and still is in a class by itself, and as a result, speaks for itself. The SF E2...well, what can I say...as far as I'm concerned it's still the best size to light ratio EDC light on the market! This is just my $.02 worth...

PJD

note...SF E2 is a little bit off topic since the subject was which LED lights will be remembered in 10 years...but IMO, the E2 will be remembered in 10 years no matter what category of flashlights are talked about...

...there is nothing in the world more frustrating than a lousy beam...

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
My first LED light was from C Crane via Art Bell. Good company it is too bad they haven't started carying some up-to-date lights. Black 3AA 3LED's. There are/were several companies selling these. Much prefer metal bodied lights now but Princeton Tech has good plastic ones.
Sorry for the ramble need more sleep.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who can say for sure which ones will be memorable 10 to 15 years from now. How many brands of regular flashlights have gone into The Abyss of the Forgotten over the years??? I still remember my cheap 2D Ash Flash, as the first reliable flashlight I ever had. It is long gone, but, if I still had it, and it worked, I would put a single white Nichia PR base bulb in it.

My first reliable White LED was the CC Trek (gave it to my mom). It was also my first white LED flashlight. (Ah the beginning of a long love affair with White LED lights
wink.gif
and the beginning of my flashaholic status.
grin.gif
)

Memorable goes for both good and bad. Memorable by category (General populace, emergency personel, specialty like backpackers, flashaholics.

Memorable by Popularity or historical breakthrough products, or significant improvement to an existing product.

Memorable by type, like 1 AAA, 1 AA, etc.

The problem I think for general population, is that they see LED lights as single Nichia type on a keyring, and nothing else. Until what retail store stock changes, then that is what will be memorable for the masses.

For the people who are sick and tired of shelling out money for flashlights, batteries, and bulbs, they will find lights like the Lightwave products to be memorable. My Lightwave 4000 puts out an incredible amount of light, like lighting up an entire full grown oak tree.
grin.gif

What is going to truly memorable are reasonably priced Luxeon Star based flashlights that have at least a decent runtime, that meet the decent throw needed by the masses. Preferably this would have a replaceable light module (bulb), rugged, and moderately waterproof. We are just beginning to see this now.
smile.gif

For us, the flashaholics, the Arc LS will certainly be memorable.

LED Museum: Thank you for your fine and exhaustive reviews!!! You have certainly helped me in making certain decisions for LED lights and LEDCorp's Pro Series Mag-Lite replacement bulb (I have a White 2 Cell one on order).
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
I'm inclined to think Craig had a good listing, but not for John Q Public. Those of us with a special attachment to lights and seek out the better and more innovative advances will likely remember the CMGs, Arcs and such.

In ten years Mr. Public will remember their imported LED Rayovacs, imported Energizers, and to a lesser extent their Lumilites, Dorcys, and Garritys. They'll take special pride in their LED Maglites. I'd suspect that once the demand is there Maglite will dominate the aluminum LED market.
rolleyes.gif

John Q still won't know what an Arc, Surefire, or CMG is.
icon15.gif

IMHO