Tek 7 - thinking of buying - help

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Time to buy a new flashlight...this time I want something with something close to a new batteried AA mag, but with a much longer runtime. Which leads me to the Tek 7. I have a Streamlight 4AA LED, which I like, but don't need something that bright, and want more burn time.

So...

Is the Tek 7 that much dimmer than the Streamlight? What about the green?

Is the battery contact an ok design? (i.e. will it hold up ok)

Has anybody done a runtime on it? A first check, it looks like Craig has run this to 30 hours, but not beyond.

Am I missing something? Just haven't heard much about this light in a while... I have a tektite strobe, and love it, but none of their flashlights.

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Unless you were looking for a dive light, I've always considered the tektite torches too pricy for what they offer.

I'm a big fan of the lightwave lights, myself. But, this being the CPF, I'll stand back and allow others to shower you with alternatives.

--Scrimmy

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
You might want to consider the Cobra 7 Led Light for $29.95.
cool.gif

MDM

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of Tektite lights...they don't get enough coverage in this forum IMHO. I have the 2, 7, and 14 led versions. The 7 is the one I keep in the car for emergencies (same one the Navy Seals selected). It is a little pricey, but no more so than a Surefire E2e or other tactical light. If you want a combination of long battery life, long bulb (LED) life, waterproofness, and durability, you can't go wrong with Tektite.

Severe

Newly Enlightened
Hi MDM> Noticed that your big into tek-tites and wondered if you know if the Cobra 7 is an Expedition 300 with A differant name. Cobra is now selling them for $15.00 great price? [over at cobras site] Severe

MDM

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the Cobra ad, it is described as a 4-led light, not a 7 like the Expedition 300 / Trek 7. Are you sure it's the same manufacturer?