Anybody using a rechargeable 123 in their QIII?

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
It's quite apparent that there are now quite a lot of QIII's floating around. So I figure that by now, there must be at least several of you using an R123.

How well is it working? (LedMuseum tried it both ways for his review, and got an even brighter light when he used rechargeables).

And it may be obvious to you guys, but if I do go that route, would I be best off purchasing the battery and charger setup from JSBurly's site?

I tried inquiring about using Burly's R123's in my QIII, over in the battery forum, but have yet to get a really clear consensus (The responses over there tend to be too tech for my electronics-challenged brain). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm just looking for as straightforward an answer as I can get.

Thanks!

flashking

Newly Enlightened
I'll let you know in a few days.....I bought some R123's off eBay yesterday $17 for the whole works charger and 2 cells. They are actually 3.6v which hopefully will provide a nice light boost without harming the LED....will post my results....

-Matt

Krit

Enlightened
I use R123a without dramage and It's very bright.

My QIII,the stock LuxIII come with SY0L bin and I replace with TX0J. I use a lot without dramage too.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody using a rechargeable 123 in their QIII

i was thinking about it since Battery Station has a single battery charger on sale for $15.
i'll see how it works out for a few more ppl b4 deciding tho.

it'll save you money. you can use a run of the mill 123 if you don't have time to charge your battery.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened

Cool...I'll be interested in hearing how that works out.

I don't claim to understand it, but I've seen various comments about JSBurley's "protected" batteries. I just came from his website and from what I can determine, it sounds like they run at about the same 3 Volts as disposable 3V CR123's.

The whole point of my interest in rechargeables is to be able to "overdrive" the light (am I using that expression in the correct context?) in order to push my QIII even brighter than it's present (excellent)output.

From what I've been able to pick up in various threads, it sounds like the QIII is one of a number of lights, which apparently can better handle the higher power than other lights. Combine that knowledge with the Led Museum's test results (658,000mcd with disposables vs. a whopping 875,000mcd with rechargeable R123 Li-ion cells...a rather significant 25% increase!),and I'm more than a little interested in tracking down higher power rechargeables,...which can interface well with the QIII, and enable me to achieve even close to that very impressive level of brightness.

ICUDoc

Enlightened

I use unprotected CR123s in my QIII- great little torch and even brighter with the rechargeable. It does however get quite hot if you are not sinking some heat by holding it- I think hotter than with disposables. I guess this might shorten the lifespan of the LED but am not clear how much- I love the lumens and reusable guilt-free ones at that!!

STEVENT6

Enlightened

AW,

Do you know if the batteries from just bright are protected cell. I'm assuming their not since it doesn't say.

Thanks,

Steven

Krit

Enlightened

I use unprotect cell too. So I have to change the new battery before it going to be dead cell with too low voltage left.

AW

Newly Enlightened

My rule of thumb is whenever my flashlight is out of regulation, time to change the battery.

Exit32

Newly Enlightened
I bought a charger and two R123 batteries on eBay for less than $20 -- including shipping. I've been using these rechargeable eBay batteries in my Kuwai Q-III flashlight for about two weeks now without any problems whatsoever.

The Q-III is noticably brighter when it's running on the rechargeables rather than the stock CR123A battery.

flashking

Newly Enlightened
That sounds like the same charger that should be on my doorstep Monday, glad to know you are having success.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I´m using an unprotected R123 with disabled circuit and matched LED for a nice LiIOn DD without any troubles.

Klaus

LoneRebel

Enlightened

Exit,Flashking: I received the 'el cheapo' charger and two 580mah batteries from ebay. With the batteries at 3.84 volts, I measured about 1.2 amps draw on my q3 with the rechargables. My Q3 with tv1j is now insanely bright for the size. I'd say with these rechargeables it looks twice as bright as it did with regular cr123's. The brightness is now very close to that of my Kl4 on a single 17670 lithium-ion cell. I just hope my tv1j can handle the punishment of these rechargable batteries.

Have any of you guys added arctic silver between your star and flashlight? If so did it help heat transfer very much?

Latest posts