High Power AA with Low Brightness?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Is there any high power AA light with at least dual (or more) brightness? It can be incandescent/LED combo but it has to use AA battery.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know DJPark successfully did a mod as such with an Arc AA which won him 1st place in the 'H&M Mods' (IIRC) competition a few months back... Dunno if you'd consider the Arc AA a high power or not, but I think he used an 8mm Led in place of the 5mm...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Some folks did it with the Arc LSH and 2AA tail switch pack with a hi/low modified Kroll. I have one like that. High is around 25 lumens, low is around 1.

There is a 2AA tailpack for the VIp also, which gives 3 light levels.

Daniel

davidra

Enlightened
And there's a Nuwai....I think it's Al-306...that is either 3AA or 3AAA and is a hybrid light.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Gadget Lover, I have one of your hi/lo Kroll mod, but I find that my LSH-P put out only 25 lumens. Now what I need is a 0.15 ohm resistor to jack up the current to 667mA.

Streamlight Task Light 3AA doens't have low light while the Twin Task 3AA does have LED low light, the incandescent is only 30 lumen.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Yeah, the Sandwich would work but my concern is the mini-mag will get too hot when running it on high beam? Mini-Mag was never design for heat dissipation. Worse, what if the Sandwitch die from over-heating after two set of AA?

cy

Flashaholic
I've got a three stage CR2 light that puts out 40+ lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
You got to remember - you're limited by using AA form factor. Manufacturers are going to design around the alkaline chemistry which will mean lower amperage (versus 123 lithium) which limits how much they can send through the emitter or the incandescent wire. The bulbs or LED support circuitry will probably not allow for a brighter (higher amperage) light.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I know about the AA limitation, but I'm not asking for a 2AA light, it can be similar to the PT Surge which runs two set of 4AA in parallel.

Unfortunately, PT Surge doesn't do low brightness which put it out of the competition. I'm looking for a light that can be bright when needed, or stay on low and the battery last forever. It also has to use AA as my other travel items (shaver, GPS, etc) all uses AA.

Latest posts