If I replace a SWOK with a TWOL in my Q-III.....?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would happen if I replace the SWOK with a TWOL in my Q-III? Would it be brighter, less bright, about the same? Runtime? A higher brightness bin but also a higher vF as well. What do you think? I'm perfectly happy leaving it as is, but just curious to know.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orion,

I would *guestimate* that its a wash and not worth the trouble - the Q-III circuit is a voltage booster so with a higher Vf LED you´ll typically see less current going through the LED - probably neglecting any gain you could have had from the higher flux "T" bin.

Coming from a SWOK I would recommend either a TWOK or even better a nice TWOJ - a TWOJ most definetely will give you some visible brightness increase - while a SWOK is already a quite nice LED to start with IMO.

Klaus

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. I would love to have a TWOJ in it, but they are hard to come by. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could possibly turn a TWOK into a TWOJ just by running it constantly for about 100 hours.

ledaholic

Enlightened
I put a SV1J in mine and got a noticable gain in brightness. I haven't done any runtime tests cause I'm using R123's. I really like this combo.

Bob

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
klaus is right about the effect of Vf with a voltage booster. To see a noticeable gain in brightness, just getting a lower Vf luxeon might do it, but getting a lux with a higher flux AND a lower Vf will likely make more of a difference.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it effect runtime with a TWOJ? What about heat differences and the ability to sink it to the body. Any change there?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would it effect runtime with a TWOJ? What about heat differences and the ability to sink it to the body. Any change there?

Wrangler

Enlightened
I own a Q3 modded with a TWOK and DD on r123 4.2V
There is a significant difference in brightness to the standard Q3. Amazing little gem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
BTW Modder was Klaus!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Krit

Enlightened
I replace TY0K to stock SY0L it gain more about 30 mA to LUXIII. The current onsumption from circuit is the same as stock used.

When I replace with TX0J, low Vf LuxIII, It gain about 50-60 mA to luxIII compare to SYOL stock luxIII. The current consumption also same as TY0K and SY0L.

I use simple method to measure the efficiency change. In my openion, to change the luxIII with low Vf is increase more current to LuxIII as volt boot circuit. But the current consumption is not noticeable change as not make more runtime.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Too low a vf and driving with a R123 may damage the LS and most likely reducing its life.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wrangler said:
I own a Q3 modded with a TWOK and DD on r123 4.2V
There is a significant difference in brightness to the standard Q3. Amazing little gem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
BTW Modder was Klaus!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Wrangler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Klaus