Worst professional musician

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
The best guitarist thread got me thinking, who do you think are the worst famous/professional musicians performing today (or any time for that matter). Or those who are just barely adaquate but overhyped.

To kick off this thread my picks are

Ringo Starr
CC DeVille (Poison)
Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
Scotty Moore (Elvis's Gutarist)

Jim Skinner

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why can't I get this song out of my head, "she bangs, she bangs..." Grr Talk about being famous for being bad.

AI doesn't equal artifical inteligence, its no inteligence of American Idol.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Celine Dion is pretty bunk, and considering the quantity of records she sells, she might just be the worst ever.

Ratso

Enlightened
I'm not sure if they qualify as musicians, but there are these two gay guys who dress up in clown face paint and sing songs. They call themselves "Insane Clown Posses." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Frame57 said:

Scotty Moore (Elvis's Gutarist)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a hard one to understand. Scotty Moore and Bill Black were the only musicians involved in the sound that introduced Elvis, and still played behind him for the next fourteen years. The Elvis phenomena, which was an industry changing event, wasn't just Elvis' talent and voice. The early band only consisted of Elvis banging out the rhythm, Scotty playing lead, and Bill Black playing bass. Scotty was as much a contributing factor to the sound as Elvis' songs.

The stubborn and powerful Tin Pan Alley formula for the recordings of that day couldn't be toppled by poor musicians. With as much controversy as that which surrounded the Elvis era and opposition from the music industry, if definitive error could have been pointed out in their performance, rather than complaints based on their "highbrow" musical taste, we'd had to endure "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window" as the big musical event for several more years.

http://www.rockabilly.net/articles/scotty-moore.shtml

davidra

Enlightened
About 25 years ago I was playing in a bluegrass band; we recorded an album in Bradley's Barn in Nashville; Scotty was the recording engineer. Really nice guy, knew what he was doing, could play any instrument. Surprised he would make anyone's list. Now John Tesh, on the other hand....or Yanni....or Milli Vanilli....

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hey now cc deville is pretty good. well when he is sober lol.o i dont like ringo star man and he is so darn stuck up.i dont like him at all.how about all these noys bands

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, she's a pitiful singer and relies completely on the other two's ability to play well. .

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most pop acts are studio fluff. Rap music, if you think it qualifies as music with musicians (though it misses the definition of music missing one of the three key elements: harmony, harmony and rhythm).

I always liked my Popular Music Theory: The more popular you are, the less talent you have.

-dan

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
Yoko Ono? Not sure if she's a musician in addition to singing(?)

[/ QUOTE ]

She was my first thought

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some folks are getting 'not my favorite' mixed up with 'worst ever'.

Scotty Moore? What tha?

Kenny G, Enya and the like... I know some folks write them off as very cheesy or as 'puts me to sleep' but they are far from the worst ever.

CC Deville? He is actually a decently refined performer even though he was stuck in Poison. Two others trapped in a band that greatly restricted them were Carlos Cavazo of Quiet Riot and Neil Schon who was in Journey. Both did a very decent job in their bands but were far more talented than those settings allowed.

Britney Spears, while far from the worst, is the type of singer that makes struggling musicians think, 'WTF am I doing wrong?' I mean, she has the looks... and the body. But acapella, she is horrific. I almost feel sorry for Christina Aguilera, Hillary Duff etc... Very compotent singers that haven't achieved near the financial success or Britney.

Oh well... teenage pop mode off... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
I think some folks are getting 'not my favorite' mixed up with 'worst ever'.

Scotty Moore? What tha?

Kenny G, Enya and the like... I know some folks write them off as very cheesy or as 'puts me to sleep' but they are far from the worst ever.

CC Deville? He is actually a decently refined performer even though he was stuck in Poison. Two others trapped in a band that greatly restricted them were Carlos Cavazo of Quiet Riot and Neil Schon who was in Journey. Both did a very decent job in their bands but were far more talented than those settings allowed.

Britney Spears, while far from the worst, is the type of singer that makes struggling musicians think, 'WTF am I doing wrong?' I mean, she has the looks... and the body. But acapella, she is horrific. I almost feel sorry for Christina Aguilera, Hillary Duff etc... Very compotent singers that haven't achieved near the financial success or Britney.

Oh well... teenage pop mode off... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait till you have a baby. You'll LOVE Enya. She will put *them* right to sleep.