Standing QIII on Tailcap

ledaholic

Enlightened
I don't know if anybody has done this but if you would like your QIII to be able to stand on end, it's easy. Disassemble the switch assy and remove all the parts. I looked through an assortment of o rings and found one that fits over the rubber switch cover which when installed moves the rubber into the cap just enough that the light can stand on end. The cap still screws on all the way and I don't think water resistance is compromised. Please excuse the not to good pics. My camera lacks a little for close-ups. Ok, so I don't know how to link pics yet. New better pics now. http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/ledaholic/QIII/

Bob

mapson

Enlightened
Making my QIII and 3W Nitestar stand on their tails were the first things I did after I got them. Makes the lights much more useful.

beam_me_up

Enlightened
This is something I'd really like to try....so you are saying I need to get another o-ring somewhere? Where do you get these? maybe I can find one off some other flashlight I don't use...of course I have no idea what I'm doing so if I do try this sometime I just hope I can get the cap back in place after somehow getting it all apart

beam_me_up

Enlightened
What is the best way to get all the gear out of the tailcap? And is it easy to get back in? I don't think I just want to pull on the spring and hope for the best if thats not the only way.....

ledaholic

Enlightened
You can get o-rings at your local hardware store. Just take the rubber button cap with you and find an o-ring that just fits around the raised portion of the button cap. To disassemble the switch, remove the threaded spring assy(If you look closely at the spring assy, you will see there are two notches in the clear plastic threaded part) by unscrewing it with a pair of needle-nose pliars. . The rest of the pieces just push out through the back. I took a few more pics http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/ledaholic/QIII/ Hope this helps. I'll see if I can figure out what size the O ring is when I get home.

Bob

beam_me_up

Enlightened
Things are never as easy as they seem sometimes....my 4 pairs of needlenose pliars were still too big to fit in the small notches for unscrewing the tailcap spring, but after a quick trip to wal-mart and $10 later I had a nice set of mini fishing pliars with a bunch of other features on it too, and it was just the right size to use for unscrewing the cap, once that was done I went to Home Depot and was unsuccessful at finding any o-rings let alone one that would fit properly. So I decided to just put it back together for the night...and to my surprise when I put it back together the tailcap had magically recessed itself perfectly for the light to be able to stand on it's end! I don't know what I did but it worked out great. I'll post some pictures of my success later on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif