Disassembly of New style Infinity..??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Disassembly of New style Infinity..??

I received a few extra old style Infinity Ultras and mixed with this order was one new style.I am very dissapointed with this light as far as beam quality however I do like the looks of the body.I have attempted to figure out how to take it apart.I would like to attempt a luxeon mod on this light however the entire bezel appears to be one big solid part as the tail end now turns.
Has anyone here attempted to remove the internals on one of these and if so how did it turn out for you?
Thanks for any help on this...

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Disassembly of New style Infinity..??

You're saying the new one has a worse beam than the old one... ??! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Robocop

Yes the body looks pretty decent however comparing it to my older Ultra Gs shows this new style to have much rings in the beam and what looks like a brown coloring around the edges of the corona.The output simply looks very poor and as I got these at a great deal I figure I may as well experiment a little.If I tear it up I am not out that much really.I have 3 old style Ultra Gs and they all are very consistent in tint and beam quality.I also have 2 of the old style Ultras(not Gs)and they also are much better of a beam than the new style.I have noticed that when both styles are looked at from the front(with beam on)the old style beam fills up the entire front of the bezel.The new style seems to be a much more focused type of beam and only illuminates part of the bezel or reflector cone area.It is almost like the newer style uses a more poor poorer quality LED.On a side note if I do get this board out can the factory board run a Luxeon 1 watt?Maybe if I remove the resistor or something else to make it run a luxeon that I could consider?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought 3 of the old Infinities, and 2 of the new ones...

The new one feels fairly solid as well, and the switch is easier to grab and twist. Switch action is smoother. However, one of my new ones had a substantially weaker beam than all the rest. At first I thought I was seeing things, so I grabbed 3 others to check - all their beams were ok, the new one seems to be substantially dimmer. Not impressed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Guess it's time to go grab a few more of the old ones while I can still get 'em.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Countycomm is almost out of Ultra-G's, just FYI. .

I just got a new-style Infinity. It feels a lot stronger than I thought it would, but I can find a few more vulnerability points on the new one than the old style CMG design. I've got 8 Ultra-G's, a Gerber Infinity in white, a CMG Infinity in white and the old design CMG in red, and all of them have a better beam than the new style. It's offcenter, hazy and colored. Icky, really, although someone with some skills could probably make it pretty decent. .

Robocop

I did it....I was able to unscrew the head with a little heat and it is all intact.I can now assemble it and dissassemble it at will.
The circuit is not potted and I do not know much about circuits however I can tell it has a resistor on it.It reads R068 and I am considering removing it and attempting a luxeon transplant.Can anyone tell me the value of the resistor?...I am also going to attempt to polish the bezel and enlarge it a little to accept a luxeon.I think this new Infinity is only type II HA so this part should be pretty easy.
I only had to hold the tip of my soldering iron to the bezel for a few minutes and used a wrag and two pairs or pliars after it got hot.If I am attempting to use the stock circuit for powering a low dome lux will it be better to short the resistor?...Is this even a good idea using this factory board?...I see a few other parts with numbers on it however it is all latin to me as I dont know the tech stuff.My soldering skills and equipment are not good enough to swap any other parts out so removing the resistor is about the only change I can make to this board.

pbarrette

Enlightened

Hi Robocop,

From the markings you report on the resistor, it sounds like a 0.068ohm resistor. Depending on the circuit it could be a current sense resistor used to program the current (or voltage) output of the circuit. You probably don't want to just short it out until you know what it's there for, or the light may not function.

The first thing you might want to try is to measure the current that the LED is getting. If it's being significantly overdriven, you may be able to swap in your lux without adjusting the circuit.

If you have a digital camera, you can take some close-up shots of the circuit and post them here. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who can find the IC datasheet and decypher the circuit for you.

pb

bookimdano

Newly Enlightened

I purchased an Infinity Ultra from Brightguy this week. Does anybody have a picture of the old style Infinity? I'd be curious to see the difference.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sure, look at this -

Old Style - Ultra-G
ultrag1.jpg

New Style - Gerber Infinity Ultra
gerberinfinity.JPG

bookimdano

Newly Enlightened

This is a picture of the Infinity Ultra from the Gerber website. It looks just like the one I purchased last week from Bright Guy.

12_lg.gif

It also looks like the the old style green one posted above. I can't tell the difference. Am I missing something?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's not the "New" style. That's the "Between-CMG-And-New-Style" Gerber. In the new version, the head is fixed (unless you go crazy on it Robocop Style) so you use the tailcap to turn the light on and off. The lanyard point on the old style is gone. The general thought is that it was a cost cutting move. .

paulr

Flashaholic

Any good pics of the new model available?

bookimdano

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for clearing that up. That's a shame. I purchased a few Sonics and Infinity Ultra's for gifts this year. I hate how the tail switch on the Sonic always feels as if it is going to unscrew and fall off your keyring. I am really happy with the old style Ultra. The beam seems really smooth and it feels much sturdier than the Sonic.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

The above pic is the best I can find, unless there's some hiding away in some of the other posts.

Mainly, it's a big version of the Sonic. Since the battery itself is bigger, you don't get the front end necking down to fit the LED, it looks more or less like the original. The area that would screw off on the old style is textured in lines that run parallel to the body, but the head doesn't appear to turn. There are splits in the body, at about a third of the way from each end. I'm guessing the front third is where the head comes off, and the rear third is where the tailcap screws on. The tailcap is about an inch long, I'd guess, with the same lines that you'd find the front where you can screw the tailcap on and off. The tailcap tapers down to a 23/64th flat spot, permitting to stand the tailcap on end. There is also a lanyard hole in the tailcap, big enough to put paracord through. If you set the light at the right point, you can push the tailcap for a momentary burst of light, kinda like an X5T.

My guess is this. Gerber bought CMG, and they asked people what they thought of the light. The big complaints across the board were that the battery rattles and that it wouldn't stand on end. They probably went to the engineering department and told them to fix those problems and do it as inexpensively as possible. If you look at it from that point, they've improved the light.

I got one when it was on sale with a knife. It's not a bad little light, I guess. My biggest complaints are kinda standards in the production flashlight world - the LED is offcenter and the finish isn't very sturdy. I'd like one of these lights in HA-III, I think that would really improve the feel of the light and make it seem a little sturdier. The springs in the light are a little small for my tastes, but time will only tell if they're enough to handle the pressure of use. .

watt4

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Any good pics of the new model available?

[/ QUOTE ]

a good pic in this thread , with a link to some more in there, too.

below: two pics of the old style: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cmg-arc-gerber1.jpg

gerber-lanyard2.jpg