what in the name of bad weather is this?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well since Thursday we've had a severe winter weather warning stating we'd get around 10" of snow and some ice.

the latest revision to the warning is saying 5"-9" of snow mixed with sleet and freezing rain.

you're probly thinking "So what?" right now, so here's the kicker. this one doesn't come around too often.

[ QUOTE ]
If you leave the safety of being
indoors, you are putting your life at risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

and right now my stubborn granma is on vacation downstate below the Baxter State Line and is planning on driving back home this weekend. she insists she can't wait a day for the roads to clear by taking Monday off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

looking out the window i can see it's a very sharp and windy snow, and it's very snow drifty just in the parking lot here. the roads will definitely be undrivable with anything that doesn't have 4-wheel drive.

Weather for Presque Isle, ME from Wunderground.com

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

PS
how's your weather tho? i actually enjoy this weather aside from my granma driving in it. i get to prepare my tool and gadget arsenal.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

watt4

Enlightened
i get to prepare my tool and gadget arsenal.

ok, tell us about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif lights and batteries first!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Aw man, I have to fly to Providence monday and drive abt 40 miles into CT on tuesday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Larry

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
If you leave the safety of being
indoors, you are putting your life at risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that they've overestimated their own importance with that warning. For that matter they could cut off everything in the warning before the comma and it would still be true. Masters of the obvious. I wonder if they have considered their potential liability if anyone follows their advice -- and is hurt indoors?

58F, NW 14, blindingly sunny.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having left the snow belt some years ago, I do miss being home and safe with a fire burning and watching the snow fall like when I was a kid. Then going out to play in the backyard in it. Something truly magical about a heavy or even light snowfall, the silence and beauty is really remarkable.

But since growing up it has been slightly less fun! I don't miss having to get to work when it's sleeting and watching the cars in front of me slide off the road into the ditch. I don't miss watching over a foot or so fall while at work and then trying to get home. I don't miss shoveling either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But most of all I don't miss my wife being "essential" personal at the hospital and having to go in and come home at all hours of the day and night regardless of how horrible and dangerous things are! I don't mind the power going out for a while, I got lots of lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But if the furnace blower wont run and it's below zero outside you and the kids are going to get chilly in a hurry!

Only about 57 here at the moment in coastal Georgia, but it was almost 80 yesterday and it's sunny and beautiful. Going to take the kids for a walk in a little while and maybe to the park for some swinging and sliding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Course, here we have hurricanes!