nextgen 750 in minimag?

ssteven1

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of putting a nextgen 750 in a minimag with a ims 17 reflector. I read a post that stated anything over 500ma would overwhelm a small reflector. What does this mean? Also has anybody put a nextgen 750 in a minimag yet if so, how do you like it runtime ect.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
The older Badboys created a lot of heat by themselves on top of the heat from the emitter. And it was said that 500ma was about the max for continued use in a minimag. It had nothing to with the reflector. Rather it was an issue of heat dissipation in the host. Having said that we know that the nexgen's produce less heat. So it's more about the heat from lux. How much can we get away with with regards to the nexgen and ma in a minimag? Thats the question. ????

cheers,
zwf

*Retired*
It depends alot on how well you thermally sink the emitter to the body.

With the early father of the NextGen, I run a Lux III at 1A, which is really 4 Watts. Though I utilize a rather massive copper slug and thermal potting to increase emitter/module sinking to the flashlight body.

At 750mA - 1,000mA to the emitter, I'd venture to guess that under 1/2 the heat is generated in the setup, vs. the BB.

Flatscan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ssteven1 said:
I am thinking of putting a nextgen 750 in a minimag with a ims 17 reflector. I read a post that stated anything over 500ma would overwhelm a small reflector. What does this mean? Also has anybody put a nextgen 750 in a minimag yet if so, how do you like it runtime ect.

[/ QUOTE ]
They might have meant that there are diminishing returns for increased drive current. This is the case in all lights, but more pronounced in smaller reflectors due to more light lost in spill. It is also generally true that smaller reflectors will be in smaller heads that are less able to sink or dissipate heat.

General guidelines are that anything over 500mA in a 17mm reflector will generate much more heat without much of a useful/noticeable increase in brightness. A McR-27 (McGizmo custom 27mm) will produce a brighter hotspot that will benefit from increased current, where the recommended max current is 750, but up to 1000 has reasonable returns.

Found the post: Bolded relevant portion of my answer above.
If that doesn't help, you could link to the post in question, as there might be relevant context.