Super bright 8mm and 10mm LED's

Velcro

Enlightened
Super bright 8mm and 10mm LED\'s

I've been looking for very bright white and <font color="blue">blue</font> 5mm LED's for a while now. I always thought 5mm was the best compromise of power consumption, brightness and (more importantly) price. I read the topic about those high power 8mm 150mA white LED's and began looking for those in blue. I found this from someone called quickarelectronics on Ebay. 8mm 150mA, 13,000mcd typ. / 15,000mcd max, 55 degree viewing angle. A little pricey at $11.95 for 5 pcs. But they seem rather impressive.

8mmblue2.jpg

The same seller also has 100mA 12,000mcd 10mm LED's with a 180 degree viewing angle. Also a little pricey at $9.95 for 5 pcs. but they seem quite interesting.

Anyone familiar with these LED's?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Super bright 8mm and 10mm LED\'s

I have ordered from them before, really nice. HOWEVER, out of the 3 LEDs I got (1 green, 1 blue, 1 white) all have failed in some fashion. I only drove them at about 125mA. Each LED has 4 die in the same cup. Really bright, but after a while the green and blue lost one of the dies, then the green lost all but 1. The white lost either 1 or 2, hard to tell because the coating goes across all for die. Hope this info helps.
Jeff

idleprocess

Flashaholic

500mW seems like too much power for cylindrical LEDs. They seem to be prone to premature failue even when driven to "spec."

"Super flux" or "spider" LEDs are better-designed to handle greater power - they have a thick leadframe with 4 legs. Most spider LEDs I've seen are rated for 40-80 mA.

Velcro

Enlightened

I was think about putting three of those 8mm's in red in a bicycle taillight, in flashing mode. Guess it's not such a good idea (plus 450mA is quite a lot)...

WildRice, how much time was there between the dies going dead? Weeks, months?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

they were not run for more than a few minsa at a time, I would say within weeks, prob a total of 1-2 hrs total use.
Jeff

LITEUP

Newly Enlightened

They gave me a free 100mA 8mm white one with my order about six months ago. I hooked it up to my constant current circuit at 105mA with 4 C's and haven't had a problem with it. I left it on overnight in the tent for a tent light plus the kids like to play with it when I let them (still a ciruit board taped to the battery pack). Over all maybe 20-25hrs on time and still on the same set of batteries.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

mabyee I was driving them too hard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
Jeff

Velcro

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Velcro said:
I found this from someone called quickarelectronics on Ebay. 8mm 150mA,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
WildRice said:
I have ordered from them before, really nice. HOWEVER, out of the 3 LEDs I got (1 green, 1 blue, 1 white) all have failed in some fashion. I only drove them at about 125mA.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
LITEUP said:
They gave me a free 100mA 8mm white one with my order about six months ago. I hooked it up to my constant current circuit at 105mA with 4 C's and haven't had a problem with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
WildRice said:
mabyee I was driving them too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we talking about the same 8mm LED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe so, the ones I got were 8mm from quickarelectronics .

Jeff

rdshores

Enlightened

I would say the ones WildRice got were the 100ma ones because he mentions they were 4-die. The 150ma ones are a single die.

While checking out other stuff for sale there, I saw these 5mm white inverted cone LED Would be interested to see how they would work in a Mini maglite with Lithiums.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

i had the same problem with the 4x-8MM as above, if you smoke out one of the parellels it is different and hard to put in series with others.
BUT
i finally SORTED the lot, and got similar ones.
then i heatsinked the hot leg, only one leg gets REALLY hot
after sorting, syncing and series banking this group (the best group) i have overdriven it hard, and its still working, , so far :)

Latest posts