Oxyride Battery?

Geode

Enlightened
Anyone have experience with these types of batteries? News story here. Just curious how they might compare with the Lithium type AA and AAA batteries.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think panasonic makes them but I am unsure if they are available in the US yet at local retailers. I believe there is a runtime of them in the alkaline shootout thread. From the little I have heard they are somewhere inbetween alkalines and lithium, boasting about 50% increase in runtime over standard alkalines.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Oxyride are Panasonic's brand in the nickel/oxy cell. Kodak brand also has been available in Osco/Savon Drug stores.
Basically a high performance alkaline with starting voltage at about 1.7V, and engineered for high current drain apps.

Search CPF for: ZR-6 cell
-Two or three threads about that battery 6-8 months ago.

STEVENT6

Enlightened
Re:

1.7 volt, with 50% increase in runtime. The link said about $1 per AA. Wouldn't that make them about as good or even better than lithiums.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:Oxyride

Actually the nickel/oxy has no increased overal capacity-ESP. when used at lower level currents. So, if the battery is not being used for demanding things like DigiCams, the moderate extra cost would be mostly wasted. Of course, where a little extra voltage (1.7) is desirable, there could be an advantage.

OTOH, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif -this Oxy cell is noticeably heavier in weight, and offers no improvement in cold temperature performance, than a cheaper alkaline.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re:

at $1 each unless you need higher run time in disposables you are better off going cheap alkalines or nimh instead as I doubt they have the two other properties lithiums are known for.. all weather performance and lightness.

STEVENT6

Enlightened
Re:

Thanks for the reply's,

Thanks, the only way I'll get my money's worth out of them is if they performed in cold weather, about 0 degrees and up. Maybe a cr123 version will eventually cost a lot less than $1.00.