Quickbeam's Surefire L2 Review

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam\'s Surefire L2 Review

Holy smokes guys! Why the hell didn't you tell us these things were this bright? It got a total output rating of 8900 on Quickbeam's scale making it just a hair less output than the Surge and a considerable step up from the P61 lamp. Granted, the throw isn't in the stellar category, but sheesh... for sheer output, this thing is unbelievable!

That's absolutely amazing from a single LED.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l2.htm

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quickbeam\'s Surefire L2 Review

I figured the L2 would be pretty high up there on his lightbox chart. It was also helpful to see how the low beam measured up with other lights too. I'm pleasantly surprised and happy with my purchase. Thanks again, Quickbeam, for another helpful review! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened

Yeah, I was debating between the L2 or L4 but after seeing 8900 on Quickbeam's scale (that's about 100 lumen), definitely I'll take the L2 over the L4. However, just lost my job last month avoided me of getting myself a nice light for Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Victor_Hooi

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

I'm a n00b at this, and I'm not sure how the A2 compares to the L2...this is my "first" light (ie the first one that will cost over $50 *grin*).

CalgaryGuy: Sorry to hear about that, mate - how you pick something up quick, so that you can continue your collection =).

bye,
victor

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
CalgaryGuy said:
Yeah, I was debating between the L2 or L4 but after seeing 8900 on Quickbeam's scale (that's about 100 lumen), definitely I'll take the L2 over the L4. However, just lost my job last month avoided me of getting myself a nice light for Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif All that info can be found at Surefire's Website /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MoonRise

Enlightened

Hey Quickbeam, you goofed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

The L2 doesn't have collimating optics, it has a reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

The body of the review mentions the textured reflector, but the summary "Quick Facts" at the end mentions collimator optics.

For comparison, your QuickFacts on the L4 lists the reflector as textured aluminum.

Oh, and the body of the site doesn't have to L2 in it, only the front page (index1.html).

Oh, did I mention "Thank you" for all your reviews? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened

Victor_Hooi, A2 uses incandescent bulb for high beam and LED for low beam. A2 only put out 50 lumen on high while L2 puts out 100 lumen. The main advantage A2 is that you can use different colour LED (red for night vision, blue to track blood, etc).

CPFMan, I'm familiar with SureFire's web site as I go there regularly. SureFire recently changed their L2 spec from 65 lumen to 100 lumen. Also previously, some CPF said that they compared L2 beside a L4 and the L4 was slightly brighter than L2, but that was a while back.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

MR -

Next time please send me an e-mail! I generally don't have time to check every post here on CPF. Lucky I caught this one. Thanks for the critiques, I'll get to work on fixing them right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, and I generally don't get the reviews index tables updated right away with the newest reviews, so the front page is the only way to get to some of the reviews until I get the tables updated.

Glad you enjoy the site!

iocheretyanny

Enlightened

I have one of the earlier L2. Does any one know whether it also 100 lumnes or is it less (in the older manual says 65....)

thanks.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Apparently all L2's are 100 lumens. The discrepancy in posted and printed materials of 65 vs 100 lumens is that SF recently made use of more accurate equipment for measuring the lumen output of LEDs and concluded the L2 was putting out 100 lumens instead of 65. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened

Leukos, that's what SureFire say, but I'm a bit skeptic on that. Quickbeam have a milk box with aluminium foil in it and he can easily tell if a light is 65 lumen or 100 lumen.

SureFire got to have done something to make the new batch brighter.

Latest posts