Anybody interested making a 4-cell body for SFs?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a lathe or access to one (and I know nuts about machining anyway), so I'm wondering if anybody is interested in, or has already made a 4-cell body for Surefire C-series lights. I'm aware of the Balrog BE4+E2C combo, but wait..

I'm thinking of a 18650 compatible light. 4 x SF123 length would let me put two 18650s in it. Strap on a Turbohead and I have 225 lumens (MN16) at my disposal.

What do you guys think? or is there an easier way to go about getting this level of performance?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Get a 9P (D3) add one A19, or a 6P and two A19s and you're all set.(will also work with other standard size SF bodies) Others may know of other possibilities.I only know PILA batteries; I won't work with unprotected Li-ONs. Are the 18650s thicker or longer? If not the Balrogs should work.

Brightnorm

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Hmmm...

The 4x123 body would push the limits for a mini-lathe (not impossible, but a PITA), a larger lathe with 16" or more between centres would be able to do it. That rules me out.

Have you considered boring out a SF M4 body?

Be careful with the unprotected Li-ion cells and good luck with your project.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm familiar with the standard Surefire lego set, I have some of the required components, but the 18650s won't fit into even C-series bodies because they're too fat. The U2 was specially made to accomodate them. The 18650 is practically the same diameter as the BE4.. think Pila 168A diameter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Buying an M4.. yikes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

I would however be willing to pay (ask me about the amount before you start though, I am on a somewhat-limited budget) if someone was willing to build me a 4-cell C-series compatible tube. No need for the tailcap, nor fancy anodizing. Bare Al would be fine. Should I post this in B/S/T?

watt4

Enlightened
Re: Anybody interested making a 4-cell body for SF

seen on sportsmansguide website.

sg123light8sb.jpg

""12V Xenon bulb.....the 3 segments each have a CR123A battery (included). So length can vary from 5 3/16" to 6 1/2" to 7 7/8" and brightness varies on having 2, 3 or 4 batteries.....""

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Isn't it possible to bore out the SF tubes to accomidate an A sized Pila.

Bill

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

Kevin, if the diameter of an 18650 battery is 18-19mm, there is plenty of space to bore and fit it into an M4 body.

Are you sure you want to use unprotected Li-Ion cells with an unregulated/unprotected lamp? Bill's suggestion of using the 168A's would be a safer bet since the Pila's are protected.

Bill, that's right - the C/M series bodies have plenty of metal that can be bored to fit a 150A/168A Pila. The A-series Pilas are 19mm in diameter, a 123 battery is 17mm in diameter.

I don't have the capacity on my lathe to turn such a body from scratch, perhaps someone with a larger lathe could step up. Correction - there is tube stock that matches the required inner and max. outer dimensions to create an M4-type body that would fit the 168A or 18650 battery.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm.. actually I found an easier method while mulling over the issue. Mag3C, PVC pipe, upgraded reflector and WA1274.

I have already had a lithium ion deep-discharge on me, and the charger blew up while recharging it, so I know what I'm opting for. Realistically I'm looking for lumens on the cheap, because I can get a virtually unlimited supply of quality 18650s. $30 PER Pila 168A is money I simply don't have.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif likewise the M4 is too expensive for me. If I could afford that I'd go for the M6, and then upgrade to the M6-R and never look back.

Appreciate the advice though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think I've found what I'm looking for.