1Watt LED XMAS light question

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I put this under homemade for a reason. I have some small trees in my front yard, I wanted to put LED's on them so I could just leave them on. I had 2 sets of old RYG lights, but I didnt want to pay $$$ for 2 more sets. I have a few 50s that didnt work so I pulled all the bulbs out and replaced them with red yellow green and a few blue, and in the lase place I put a 2.2Kohm 1/4W resistor. I measured the AC current to 8mA. using P=IE I get .97W (using 120v). The LEDs arent SUPER bright, but brighter then my original sets. My question is this.... even if it shows 1Watt, will a 1/4W resistor hold? (since 1W is peek current at 1/2 wave) And since it will be outside, the resistor will stay cool, do you think this setup will hold?

Jeff

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
MAN...RUSTY MATH. OK the voltage across the 2.2Kohm is about 15VAC.
Lets see if this is right...
V=IR

V/R=I

15/2200=.0068A (6.8mA)

P=IE

.102= .0068 x 15

102mW across the resistor.. sound right???

I have had these on for about 45mins and the socket with the resistor isnt even warm.

Definate alternative to store purchased, especially when you already have a bunch of LED's

Jeff

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The general rule of thumb for resistors is to plan for routine loads to never go any higher than half of the resistor's power rating.

Latest posts